Did you save my life at Bempton cliffs...25/06/2022?

I am looking for the two people that one year ago today gave me CPR on the cliff tops between Flamborough and Bempton. I know you were headed back to the RSPB so maybe this message will get to you.  

Not only did you save my life, gave me CPR until coastguards, paramedics and air ambulance came but you also looked after my two children who would have been left alone in an awful situation with no help. There was less than a 1% chance I’d have made it off that cliff top. One year on and we are no closer to knowing who you are but I am hoping that through the various media I have done you know what you have done for my family. Thanks to you I survived and beat all odds, my children were told that evening I wouldn’t make it out of a coma but thanks to your swift action I am here to hold my children. 

Please please please, let something good come from my story,  those of you who don’t know CPR please spend a few minutes learning, without these amazing strangers it would have been a very different story for my children that day. 

• Donna, have you spoken direct to the RSPB team at Bempton?

If they were RSPB staff, paid or voluntary, who administered the CPR, I'm sure it will have been mentioned among the team, and there will almost certainly be some still there from last year.

I can endorse basic first aid training, having undertaken various St John courses over the years through many employers. Many, not all, St John's units will give training to the ordinary public.

regards

John

• Hi John,

Thank you for the reply, first aid is so important and so overlooked. You always think someone else will know but that’s not always the case. Well done on learning, I am wanting to try and get it brought in as mandatory for schools to teach but who knows how far that will get!!

It was part way between Bempton and Flamborough I was walking with my two young children and it was a couple who were heading towards Bempton. Just before I lost consciousness I overheard one say that they were headed back to the RSPB but it was too far to get help.Had these people not turned around and come back to check on me I wouldn’t have made it that day, within seconds I’d stopped breathing. I believe we were about 2/3miles from the car park.

If you google my name (Donna Bates) and Flamborough or CPR it will tell the full story. I have spoken to staff last year at the RSPB but they were unaware of anything so I’m just trying any means I can think of to try and get my thanks to them and the message of learning first aid training.

Thank you xx
  • Donna Bates said:
    Hi John,

Thank you for the reply, first aid is so important and so overlooked. You always think someone else will know but that’s not always the case. Well done on learning, I am wanting to try and get it brought in as mandatory for schools to teach but who knows how far that will get!!

It was part way between Bempton and Flamborough I was walking with my two young children and it was a couple who were heading towards Bempton. Just before I lost consciousness I overheard one say that they were headed back to the RSPB but it was too far to get help.Had these people not turned around and come back to check on me I wouldn’t have made it that day, within seconds I’d stopped breathing. I believe we were about 2/3miles from the car park.

If you google my name (Donna Bates) and Flamborough or CPR it will tell the full story. I have spoken to staff last year at the RSPB but they were unaware of anything so I’m just trying any means I can think of to try and get my thanks to them and the message of learning first aid training.

Thank you xx

Out of curiosity I did, and there were a few news articles that appeared, confirming your story. From what you say, it seems highly likely they may have been passers by. 

I wish you well with your quest.

regards

John