Feeding many hungry birds sustainably, naturally and cheaply - if at all?

Hello. I am new here, but I have been running a five-star bird restaurant for several years now. The menu includes (all from the RSPB shop), peanuts, black sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, table mix, and suet balls. I use a bird table, suet feeders, and seed feeders containing nibbles, dried mealworms and kibbled peanuts. My hungry customers get through a lot quickly. One clear example is the suet balls, 150 of them gone every four days. I normally only buy when there is the offer of 20% off, but nevertheless I am spending hundreds of pounds every few months.

My take is that because humans have destroyed so much natural habitat and the feeding opportunities along with them, that we have a responsibility to help those we have hindered. However, am I too generous, topping up the food whenever it gets low (several times each day), and perhaps stopping the birds looking for wild food?

Is there any wild food for birds out there these days?

I worry that by being generous, the birds breed more than they would if I wasn't feeding them, and then the offspring also come to rely on what I am putting out?

I question the naturalness (and sustainability and ethics) of feeding the melted fats of animals that most of these birds would not usually have the opportunity of feeding off in the wild?

I appreciate birds love fat, and so they like peanuts, but I expect these are flown in?

If I were to substitute the suet and peanuts with growing my own mealworms, would I be able to grow enough to satisfy such a hungry clientele with only mealworms and seeds on a daily basis? Does anybody have experience growing a large number of mealworms, and if so, how do you do it?

I would be interested to hear from people who have a good idea of the facts. Thank you very much.

• Hi Tabitha,

I have a number of questions around this.
    a) Are you rural or urban?
    b) what type of birds are you feeding
    c) do you have a garden and do your neighbours have gardens
    d) If you have a garden do you have grass?

A number of us only supplementary feed during the depths of winter and early spring - a limited amount of food is offered and once it's gone it's gone.
    Fatballs shouldn't really be fed in Summer and while there are wild food sources about.
    Mealworms can be a bit of a nightmare to grow - people have found themselves with a lot of beetle

If you have a garden look at the habitat you are offering. Grow shrubs, trees and plants that can support and invite insects in, If you have artificial grass or decking look at taking that up and returning soil to health so that thrushes and blackbirds can access invertebrates.

Your numbers may reduce but you are artificially supporting and increasing the risk of disease and predation and what would happen if you suddenly can't feed them - create a safe haven and they will still be there.

I didn't continuously feed this last year as I have had to be away for extended periods of time and had no one to pop in to feed them but I have allowed my garden to run a bit wild - If the bird song is anything to go by they are all doing well

Cin J

• Hi Cin J

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I am in the suburbs feeding a variety of wild birds and my small gardens are designed for wildlife. I have the adjustable bird table, the roof of which I lower to keep the feral pigeons at bay. I clean one of the three seed feeders on a rotational basis, and the bird table tray, every day. I clean the suet feeders once or twice a week.

The RSPB tells us to feed all year round, and I find my restaurant is busiest from spring until late summer than even winter, because they are raising their young for several months. The adults fly in and out to carry off food in their mouths, and the starlings' offspring come in hoards to feed themselves directly.

Have you tried growing mealworms yourself?
  • Hi Wendy. I just tried to reply to you, but it seems to have disappeared. I will try again:

Thanks for the link. That was helpful to read. I don't think I will want to look at growing mealworms, not at the moment anyway.

Are you able and willing to tell us more about the waxworms, and if you grew these or just bought them? Thank you.

Hi again ItisaRobbo. OK, good to know you have experience and inform that I would not be able to leave them alone for what? more than a few days at a time?
  • Hi Tabitha, I purchased the waxworms from this company
    www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/.../Waxworms
    Always arrived promptly & in good order, I kept mine in a box in the fridge to stop early development, mainly they were for a Robin who used to have it's own dish on front doorstep!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Tabitha,

I did have live mealworms that pupated and emerged - because they are flour beetle I then struggled to 'control' them for a while - read that as being a year as they kept emerging from a variety of crevices. It's not something I will do again.

Waxworms are a moth larvae - I've not used them

Cin J

• Have to be vigilant with waxworms pupating as the emerging moth enters beehives & lays eggs inside for larvae to feed on wax & honey, can be very destructive, the poor bees have enough problems!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hello.

I replied a few days ago, but I can see, now I am back just to say thank you for sharing your opinions and experiences, that what I wrote doesn't appear here, so I will repeat a little bit. I had a look at the link you included, Wendy, which was useful, thank you. I have decided just to reduce the feeding a tad for now, as I see the later broods/clutches of juveniles are coming to my garden to be fed. When things quieten down naturally in late summer, I will reduce or stop the suet, so that by late winter/early spring when the birds start breeding, they will know they cannot rely on me for the whole of their food source, and perhaps this means they will not produce as many off-spring who then come to rely on me as well. I want to end up just putting out seeds as a supplement to their diet, and encourage them to find food elsewhere. I cannot afford to spend so much on bird food, and I hope to be moving home in the next two or three years as well.