Red kites

Hi Everyone

Its been quite a while since I’ve posted anything but I’ve followed a lot of others threads. Hope I’ve posted this in the right place. 

The two red kites that were nesting in the tree at the bottom of our garden have returned this year and after much activity over the past few weeks we hoped the female was about to lay eggs after she spent a couple of days not moving out of the nest. 

However this morning we noticed she was sat on a branch next to the nest head bowed not moving seemingly asleep. Occasionally  she would move very slightly. There’s been no whistling or calling.

She’s been like that for about 5 hours now. Her mate has been in the adjacent trees but not attempted to go near the nest. 

We’re concerned that she may be injured or unwell. 

Any thoughts

• Hello SP, sorry to read about the Red Kite. What a wonderful nest to be able to see in your garden! I have no idea, sorry, but this will bump your post back up and hopefully, someone can help.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Catlady
    Thanks for your response.

After a worrying 24 hours we saw that she was back in the nest yesterday and has since been seen flying in and out so fortunately doesn’t appear to be injured. Indeed just seen her return to the nest with someone’s blue cloth or similar then settle back down.

Very strange. Fingers crossed that she may still lay eggs and rear some chicks.
  • Sad news. Upon looking at the nest with binoculars from below this afternoon we can see a dead kite wedged over the branches alongside the nest. No obvious sign of injury.

Can’t tell if it’s the male or female. What we saw a few days ago must have been it dying.
    It’s mate has visited the nest a few times this morning but hasn’t been seen this afternoon.
    Such a shame after their unsuccessful breeding attempt last year.
  • Sorry to read about the Kite, sad. I wonder what happened, it's poor partner will be lost now, hopefully sometime someone new will take up residence.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• So sad to hear that. Possibly poisoned. I started a thread, on Nextdoor about the disappearance of the kites. I live in Kempston Bedford. They were few, but a regular sight. I was lucky enough, to have them hovering over my garden, on a regular basis. As an avid fan of these magnificent birds. I was always watching out for them. Suddenly a few weeks ago, they disappeared. The thread has had an amazing response. Other people have noticed they’ve gone. I truly hope nothing has happened to them.