Geese leaving the UK over the Irish Sea

I've noticed since moving to the Southport area 2 years ago, that in October there are huge flocks of Geese leaving the UK and heading West/North West out over the Irish Sea. Everything I have researched points to Geese moving South in the winter to the UK. Not north away from it. Does anyone know why this is and what geese they are please? Just so I know when I am asked again by my children this year. I have always answered "Oh, they are Canada Geese migrating" with a confused look on my face. at some point one of them will ask, "are they not going the wrong way dad?" Thanks in anticipation of help for a confused dad.

• Agree with what Rob suggests as perhaps them being pink footed geese; Martin Mere WWT which is virtually next door to Southport and have tens of thousands of pink footed geese arrive on the reserve during migration as we enter into autumn and they create a spectacular sighting there each year; one morning when visiting Martin Mere we saw for ourselves 25,000 pink feet arriving in constant skeins. Maybe these you saw are taking the long route from Greenland, Iceland, etc, to Ireland as that's another place (from what I understand) they migrate to for autumn/winter months. We see many many pink feet in the whole of the north west of England.

Regards, Hazel 

• That’s great Hazel & Rob, thanks for your info.
  • I live on the north coast of Ireland portstewart  just saw a flock of grease  about 20 strong heading  west north west 6 am