Hello & seeking birders to review my latest book, The Birdwatcher's Wife

Hello all,

My husband and I--both American--have been living in Provence for a decade. We fell for France on our delayed honeymoon in the 'early 90s and two decades later made Provence home--all because of birds. (Hint: the Camargue is an hour away!)  My first book, Passion for Provence: 22 Keys to La Belle Vie tells the tale of how we met, married (in the Washington, D.C. area), and immediately set off for Germany, for work. During the years in Heidelberg, we spent many a vacation in the south of France before deciding to settle here.

Now I've written a second book, The Birdwatcher’s Wife. It’s about the big year my husband and I had in France in 2019. Actually, he’s the passionate birder and finding 200 species in France in one year was his idea. The eat-preen-love lifestyle of birds didn’t fascinate me, but the off the beaten path adventure did.  Despite my trepidation, off we went. From our home in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, we criss-crossed the country from the Med to the English Channel, the Pyrenees to the Alps. Challenges were many, but we’re still married!

The March edition of the UK-publication French Property News ran a three-page article on our life in France and how it inspired two books. That publicity and other similar press is all wonderful, but what would be genuinely satisfying would be to have some RSPB folks review the book. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any ideas you care to share.

Kind regards, Gayle Smith Padgett

PS Before I noticed this chat room, I posted a similar message to one related to books--my apologies for any overlap!

• Hi-

for a decent review send a copy to British Birds magazine or Birdwatching Magazine or Birdwatch magazine

S
  • Hello Seymouraves,

Thank you very much for your terrific suggestions--much appreciated!

Kind regards and happy birding, Gayle
  • Hi GSP :)

I'm intrigued enough to think about buying the book- You don't say if it is an all out travelling year or multiple excursions in all directions :)
    I'm not sure 200spp in a year in France is that much of a mountain to climb (?)

I've visited France birding on 3 family holidays totalling 3 weeks and found 151 species there myself.
    On the other hand I drink more wine and eat more cheese now !

S

• Hello S,
    Thank you for your message. That’s great you have birded in France. To answer your questions…we set out on numerous excursions from our home in St Remy de Provence in the course of 2019. The first month was mainly the Camargue and some local spots. At the end of February, we started the big trips. Like you, I thought 200 would be a slam dunk. It just gets super hard the closer you get to the goal. And, speaking of wine and cheese, my husband agreed to savor the experience as we went along – to please me – but that restraint held him up. It became clear that balancing a time-sensitive, passion-driven, bucket list quest and la belle vie was a fool’s errand. Spoiler alert—we’re still married! And I found time to evolve in at least one significant way. I’ll leave it there for now!
  • Hi GSP

birding and camping in the Camargue during August 81 ( cycling around the vicinity of Stes Marie de la Mere)
    in my early 20s with a friends family was where I discovered French cheeses etc.
    It was harder to come by them in GB back then :)

S
  • Hello S...French cheeses...ah, don't get me started--a real weakness! But then, Stilton is a winner:)