Help with magpie please

Hi can anyone help me please. A couple of weeks ago I saw an injured magpie in my mum's garden and two other Maggies were pecking at it. I chased them off and the injured one ran under the caravan and wouldn't let me catch it. I went home and my mum had to chase this pair off all night until dark when they went to bed. I called at mums in the morning and these two maggies were pecking and pulling this poor bird around again, this time I managed to catch it.
I put it in a pet carrier and my mum phoned our local wildlife rescue, explained how busy they were and they will come out when possible or I could care for it myself until it's well and I could go to my vets with it. All vets near me wont treat birds or they want payment for wildlife . I'm currently on sick so don't have the money for vets for something that isnt mine so I decided to take it home and treat it's two wounds that looked like they were caused by the maggies. I put the pet carrier in my dogs cage and cleaned the wounds. They looked sore and swollen but not life threatening . That was two weeks ago. The magpie is strong but still has lump on its foot but I've noticed where the wing was injured still has a lump but no swelling now but it's wing actually has too much movement in the joint.
I was hoping to release it this week where I picked it up but now I don't think it's ready but I also think it had a mate and don't want it to move on but at the same time if the bird won't be able to be released what will happen with its partner. Any help or ideas would be fab. Please dont reply with any nasty messages as I am only trying to help a living creature.

• Well done for trying to rehabilitate this poor bird Karen ... is this one of the places you've already contacted, they have a very good reputation but may be struggling with Covid related problems like many others?
    helpwildlife.co.uk/.../
  • Thank you for replying. No it was a local one that takes any bird even if classed as vermin/pests and updates with videos. I used to work at a pet shop and have dealt with injured birds/animals and also worked on farms with poultry so felt I was able enough to help this sweet bird but I really wouldn't have had it as a broken wing at first because it is so bubbly and has a great appetite however now I'm not so sure.
  • There is a Facebook site called 'For the love of Crows' where many people post all sorts about Corvid problems ... it is a closed site but you can apply to join (usually no problem) & you could explain on there to get some advice & help sites!
  • Wendy I've just noticed your mention of the Love of Crows FB group I had not heard of this before but as I had been studying our local Corvids for some time, I have applied to join. Thanks for the hint about it

• Lots of knowledeable people on there ... one is Maisie who used to post regularly on here about her rescue Corvids but that was some years back, do you remember her?
  • I've only just joined this site but I'm loving how caring people are already. I've looked at all the links and they are all brill, can't wait to have a proper look at them. The people 4 wildlife in tameside is the one I had been originally in contact with but they are completely mowed out.
    I'm no vet but I'm not useless either when it comes to rehab or nursing with animals and birds and if Maggie needs long time care then so be it. My main concern is its partner that is still in the wild...in regards to it missing Maggie or if it's gonna move on without it.
  • So pleased you are in contact with people who care & can be of help Karen ... has anyone replied re the issue of a possible partner in the wild & how it would cope!
    I have a pair regularly visiting all Spring & Summer since last year, they raid the kitten biscuits from hedgehog feeding station ... one of that pair is quite disabled, drooping wing & damaged foot but can still fly OK, even brought baby to feed this year!

A short vid from 11th July

https://youtu.be/RnTFoMU--Gk

• Hahaha awe I love it and the baby is huge! I didn't know they could manage cat biscuits I'll have to see if it wants some tonight. The greedy little *** I've got eats loads of juicy worms from the muck heap, chicken and rice cat meat, wild bird seed, fruit and eggs from my diamond doves. I still haven't heard anything yet but I'm sure they'll reply when they get chance.
  • Oooh, lucky you, Diamond Dove is a lovely bird I've only ever seen online!