Wryneck in Leicestershire ?

Hi

This just visited - sorry for the terrible photos.

I think it's a Wryneck, and is just South of Leicester, so I assume it's migrating and lost?

• Lucky you - that does indeed appear to be a Wryneck. Although they don't breed in the UK this can be the best time of year to see them when they are on passage. It's sufficiently rare in Leicestershire I would have thought it's worth reporting to your local county bird recorder along with photo. List of recorders HERE. Nice spot

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi

Thanks for that, I've now reported it.

Cheers
  • Good sighting, not many Wrynecks seen normally.

Richard B

• Well spotted Jon and always helpful when you can provide a photo along with sighting day/time to the county recorder who I imagine will be delighted to hear the news. I've never seen one so a tad envious here but so glad to share yours !

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi all and thanks for your comments and likes - it seems we were even more lucky as it continued to visit (that we noticed anyway) briefly for three days! Unfortunately we haven't spotted it since Friday evening; we suspect it was having a final fill-up before moving on.

Regards
  • Great to hear it stayed for a few days Jon, what a bonus - you could have sold tick-ets !! Did your report the sighting to your county bird recorder as I'm sure he/she would be interested to hear about it and have the photo proof ?

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi guys not sure how to post :
    Fishing in tamerton Foliot on the river tavy, saw two ospreys and one of them dived in and caught a fish. 57 yrs old and never seen that., pretty amazing, t caught one more than me!!!
  • Lucky you Neil, I have been lucky enough to see this many times during my msny years birding snd ir still thrills me. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can