Nightingale in Yorkshire..? Is it possible?

Yesterday we had a visitor to our bird table in the small town of Ilkley about 2pm in the afternoon - plain, pale grey/buff colour all over, wings slightly darker than the body, pointy beak, dark eyes, pinkish legs. Smaller than a blackbird, bigger than a robin. Probably starling size. I've never seen one of these birds before. It was after the fat tray and squared up to a wood pigeon! I watched them for a few minutes. It was quite agile and could balance and get at the caged fat balls. I looked it up and it looked like a photo of a nightingale - But I thought these don't come as far north as Yorkshire. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

• Not totally impossible Luc-ee I am out at Ripon and while I have never seen a Nightingale locally I heard about very rare sightings of in the Harrogate area back in the '80's and '90's. Make a note of what you remember of your bird and then maybe get in touch with either the Wharfedale Naturalists group or Bradford Ornithological group both of which cover your area. I am sure they will be interested in your sighting and maybe some of their members will have seen a similar bird. To me as ex recorder for our local group I would have been interested in your sighting considering what you have noted.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Is it possible it could have been a juvenile starling? Just a thought.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• A Nightingale in Yorkshire. Now that would be quite a wonderful thing. I hope that it was.