Pigeon attacked and killed fledgling starling

hi

the other day my son and I were holding a baby starling that was seemingly asking us for help, checking it out for damage when an almighty uproar came from the neighbours trees, and a pigeon emerged with another baby starling in its mouth, the baby was trying to get free, the pigeon dropped it on our lawn and the bird scuttled into the flower bed and died.

I cannot find much info on the net about pigeons attacking other birds, on the contrary general opinion appears to be the opposite.  Has anyone else witnessed this?  Is it normal behaviour?  Does anyone know why they do it?

Needless to say the first baby was taken straight down to the vet.

thanks 

Caroline

• Hi CW, never heard of this one before but if there is no food about then I would say a Pigeon could and would do this to feed their young its nature, I saw GBBG take a Pigeon yesterday on one of the Farne Islands not what I was expecting to see but got pictures to prove it but won't show them.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Hi James

I guess that's possible. Part of the problem is the sheer number of pigeons now all trying to use a limited space...

Caroline
  • Wood pigeons can be just as aggressive as many other species, particularly at this time of year while the protect and raise their broods.

If the startling was weakened ie not of good health, it is natures way of keeping the weaker species down to enable strong breeding and healthy adults of all species. It may seem harsh, and the weaker species will know they're vulnerable and do what they can to protect themselves.

I have seen a wood pigeon bludgeon its beak into the vertebrae on to the back of the neck a juvenile wood pigeon, ferociously!

That was most likely a territorial attack on an adolescent wood pigeon, it was moulting into the adult plumage, but it does tell the story, that wood pigeons can be as aggressive as any other species.