Can anyone identify this bird?

Sorry about the terrible picture and video, but is anyone able to identify this bird at all? It looked around the size of a large buzzard with a white underside and wings but dark across the front. I’ve seen it a couple of times around the edge of the New Forest but haven’t got a good picture yet. It looked like a bird of prey from closer. Thanks in advance. 

• At first it looked like an Osprey or  large gull but I'm only on a small screen and enlarging the picture makes it even harder.I hope someone has better ideas. It might be advisable to change your user name,using your Hotmail address may lead to security problems

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks Pete, I wondered about an Osprey too as they’ve had sightings around Poole which isn’t too far from us. The wings are definitely gull-like but looking at it in person it was too large and not quite the right shape or movement to be a gull. I’ve got hold of some binoculars and will be wearing them permanently until I can get a good look.

Also good call on the username, thanks!
  • Hi

Herring / LBB gull IMHO

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Thanks S my suggestion of Osprey was a bit of a wild card but I couldn't get my head round which of the bigger gulls it could be

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can