Blue tit nest box

Hi, hoping someone can advise. We have blue tits nesting in our nest box, however, our cat has recently discovered they’re in there. She can’t get to the box but is sitting on the fence under it watching it a lot. Are they likely to persist in the box? Wondering if anyone has any experience of this? Thank you, Jenny x

• I think it depends what you do. Cats regularly kill breeding blue tits, wiping out the nest.
  • In reply to Robbo:

I’m really not sure what I can do, that’s what worries me. I’m confident she can’t get to the box itself, I’m just nervous about them coming in and out!
  • Not sure if the cat or nestbox came first, but might be worth taking the box down in the Summer if the cat has a free run. April/early May frosts means there is a fair chance the nest will fail anyway (unless you are in a frost free part of the country like on the coast).

The cat needs a bell on its collar to give birds some notice of an imminent pounce. Advice is to keep cats indoors around dawn and dusk time.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Thanks you, all good ideas. The nest box came first, not had the cat for very long but she’s young so pretty astute and tuned in to the birds unfortunately. We’ve already said we’ll move the box once we know the birds aren’t in it anymore. Thanks for your help and suggestions.