Having a Good Hare Day

Walking to a known good place to see hares near home today my wife I were rewarded with 8 or 9 hares sitting in a field. We were watching from a well screened footpath and the hares got up and started to chase each other about. We were well hidden enough for 2 of them to come straight towards us and then across in front without seeing us. The only down side for viewing was they were coming at us with the sun behind them so my best pictures were of them going away from us.

To view these pictures at their best you may need to click on the magnify icon and/or zoom function.

Trevor

• An earlier success with panning was after taking a scenery shot at f22 and not resetting before I saw this lot taking off, a pleasing affect but more by luck than judgement at 1/160 sec.

• We saw our first Hares of the year when on our local walk yesterday. One was a gingery colour and at first I thought it was a small fox, it was very distant is my excuse !! The second one was pretty normal looking and fairly close before it spotted us.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That would make a brilliant canvas for the wall Trevor - love the effect ............. or a challenging jigsaw  !!! 

Regards, Hazel 

• Can we skip the days from 10th March through to 29th March please.....

Loving the photos Trevor.

• We were talking about Hares to a keeper on one of our local patches and it seems some farm estates are worried about having good numbers of Hares on their land. It seems that there is a surge locally of illegal Hare coursing and an increase in Hare numbers encourages men and dogs to trespass on a farmers land. Apparently these people are quite nasty and violent,threatening bodily harm or damage to farm property if asked to leave the land. At least one estate has decided to shoot all the hares on their land rather than risk having to face these thugs. Police do try their best but one rural bobby can only do so much and of course he risks personal harm as well. Pretty sorry state of affairs isn't it.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That's very sad to hear.
    The local farm where we see the hares has signs around it saying that Hare coursing is illegal and please report any suspicious activity to the police and the farmer when we had a chat with him was pleased to see Hares. Fingers crossed people don't Hare course and are reported if they do. The local farmer must be doing something right because we see plenty of birds around, Skylarks, Yellowhammers, Bullfinches, Fieldfares, Redwings, Linnets, Meadow Pipits, Green Woodpeckers and all the other usual suspects.

Trevor
  • TJS yes our area is like that for farmland birds but it seems because we are close to Teeside we get coursers from there and now they are blaming travellers

Pete

• Sadly, there is still a lot of this around. My area doesn't suffer from Hare Coursing as much (because they aren't here) but is the worst area for Badger Baiting. They always claim their dog got stuck so they had to dig the sett as they know the authorities won't/can't argue that. It needs to made illegal to disturb a sett regardless of the fate of peoples "pet" dogs. They also don't hesitate to use violence to intimidate anyone who attempts to challenge or report them.

Nige   Flickr

• Having challenged one or two "trespassers" in the past as part of a volunteer duty I have met with a little of that attitude Nigel including having my motor bike trashed while I was away from it and a N.P. vehicle we were using had its tyres slashed, this was in relation to Badger baiting a number of years ago.

Pete