Pigeon rescue

Hi all, we rescued a pigeon a couple of days ago which was barely moving and not eating. She's better, eating and drinking now but sadly can't fly. Not really sure what's the best option here. What do you suggest? We heard that if we take her to a vet they'll just put her down. Would keeping her as a pet work? We're a bit unsure about what to do. Thanks for your kind response. We're in London.

• Hi, in which part of London are you located?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• The most probable reason for her inability to fly is probably an internal parasite of some kind. This can be treated with the correct medication. Best not to take it to a vet. Generally they don't have the right experience to deal with ferals. Keep it warm and hydrated. If it is eating seed, all the better. Are there any obvious injuries or dried blood?

• Thanks for your comments. We're in Walthamstow, East London. She's eating popping corn and sunflower seeds. There's no blood but some tail feathers are ripped up and when she tried flying she tipped upside down. She had a string on both feet and we have removed that now. So her feet are now free they were tied before. I'll try to inspect the wings today more didn't want to stress her any more after the flying attempt and the string removing. Will post some pictures of the feathers later.
  • Internal parasite, really interesting. Have you read about or observed this before? If that's the case we would need to find a vet that can remove it.
  • It's not a case of removal. A course of medication is what is required, but the parasite needs to be identified first by means of a poop sample test. I rescue sick and injured pigeons and have much of the required medication. I'll message you via the forum a bit later. I'm on a train to work at the moment.

• Just sent you a message

• Looks like you have it in a cat carrier. That's ideal.

• You should have a friend request notification. The message is on there. Somewhere at the top right of the page.

• I'd delete your last message if I were you. Not a good idea to put personal emails on the main forum