Bird flying inside house

Hello! 

• Only just joined RSPB but am enjoying it already.  I have a q I hope you can help me with. on a couple of occasions this month we’ve had a bird flying into the house through the open window in the kitchen (I think it’s a sparrow but then I am quite new on this!). This eve when it happened again i managed to get the window in the front room where it had flown to open -   but it was perched there for a good five minutes before finding its way out (eventually my partner walked slowly towards it and then it flew out) but on the other occasion the bird inside looked very panicked and I was worried it was going to injure itself as it kept hitting the pane of glass. Is there a correct  way of steering them out when this happens with as little distress as possible?

thank you,

Georgia 

• Jyst open as many door & windows as you can in a very quiet manner, they usually manage to fly out, sounds as if your one was temporarily stunned & needed time to come round! It's always distressing when you watch then panicking & flying into things, have had two or three in my house!