Protecting Ducklings from falling down Storm Drain Covers

Hello can anybody please advise how best to fix mesh over the storm drain covers to protect falling Ducklings. Some residents attempt this but often mesh gets destroyed or becomes un fastened.

Equally, is there any specially made products on the market?

A big request, would the RSPB be able to liaise with the Council to help protect the Ducklings from these death traps, please?

Thank you 

• Hello Lydia,   firstly, it's kind of you to have the ducklings safety in mind, however, I think you would need to give more information about the storm drain before anyone could advise you on best way to go forward or to point you in the right direction for assistance and not sure this is the right forum for that although members are always willing to help if we can;      Depends on what type of drain,  extent of damage or missing cover, public or private land,  roadside or other area.        If public then I would contact your local Council;     HERE is an example of how you could report a problem to your local Council.     I have used the Lancashire County Council website purely as an indication of the sort of information you can find online as I'm sure other councils offer similar reporting methods.      I would try that way first,  good luck.    

Regards, Hazel 

• New Pig makes a magnetic storm drain filter that I think would work great for keeping ducklings out of the storm drain.
  • Lydia Wallington said:

Hello can anybody please advise how best to fix mesh over the storm drain covers to protect falling Ducklings. Some residents attempt this but often mesh gets destroyed or becomes un fastened.

Equally, is there any specially made products on the market?

A big request, would the RSPB be able to liaise with the Council to help protect the Ducklings from these death traps, please?

Thank you 

What  type of Wildfowl are they. Lots of Ducks can be shot and killed legally outside of the breeding season. There are some that are fully protected 12 months of the year They would schedule 1 species. It’s alright saying ducks. But not all Wildfowl are fully protected 12 months of the year. I thought I should mention that. As mentioned by me many times. The 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act is a long and is quite complicated.

Regards,

Ian.