Really disappointed and disgusted

Last Sunday, being a rather nice day, my partner and I decided to go to Frampton after a bit of a lay off.

We could not believe how busy it was, which was a really good sign that people are taking nature seriously, consequently car parking was at premium to say the least. Generally no issues at all until that is all spaces where filled.

A young couple with two youngsters travelling in a rather large black pickup truck  thing decided that they had priority and did not need  to park on the  road and walk  the short distance  to the visitors centre, so they parked in a DISABLED space, soon to be followed by three more cars. All four vehicles did not have disabled badges.

There was no excuse and no exception here, as there were others that had parked on the roadside. All they had achieved in all probability was turning away any  disabled, which is unforgivable. Angry

RSPB volunteers have enough to do as it is without having to monitor selfish people.

It would be interesting to know what others think on this matter?

• I think it would be hard for anyone to disagree with you Chris, however this sort of selfish behaviour isn't just happening at RSPB reserves. We could probably all identify instances of it at supermarkets etc. etc. Ian
  • Best to ignore these sort of people. My mum mentioned to a chap who parked in a Disabled bay and skipped across the pavement to the ATM that he looked fairly mobile, he tried to punch her and let rip with a stream of vile abuse.

It is up to the venue to monitor the parking.

It is frustrating and the Blue Badge bays are vital for enabling those less mobile to access places.
  • Unknown said:

Last Sunday, being a rather nice day, my partner and I decided to go to Frampton after a bit of a lay off.

We could not believe how busy it was, which was a really good sign that people are taking nature seriously, consequently car parking was at premium to say the least. Generally no issues at all until that is all spaces where filled.

A young couple with two youngsters travelling in a rather large black pickup truck  thing decided that they had priority and did not need  to park on the  road and walk  the short distance  to the visitors centre, so they parked in a DISABLED space, soon to be followed by three more cars. All four vehicles did not have disabled badges.

There was no excuse and no exception here, as there were others that had parked on the roadside. All they had achieved in all probability was turning away any  disabled, which is unforgivable.

RSPB volunteers have enough to do as it is without having to monitor selfish people.

It would be interesting to know what others think on this matter?

Chris, I write as a disabled person and Blue Badge holder, I have experienced activities like that many times, fortunately not at RSPB reserves, well, not yet.

My disability is major lower leg rebuild, after an inconsiderate motorist ran a red light while I was legitimately on a pelican crossing, taking me with him, shattering the two bones in my lower right leg and causing substantial soft tissue damage, including the leg muscles and the lymphatic system. For me, while some days walking any distance can be difficult, what doesn't change is greatly reduce knee and ankle movement, so for me wide parking bays are a necessity.

One big issue, I find with parking spaces generally, they are too narrow for today's vehicles. Many parking spaces are at an advisory width based on vehicles from the 1940's and 1950's, which if you look at the sizes of those vehicles, an old Rover car from that era is narrower than a small car like a Mini, Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa or Nissan Micra today.

The big black truck you mention, will probably fill an normal parking bay, but it is no excuse in my book.

Some places will permit families with young children to use disabled bays to facilitate access to buggies, which in many cases is a similar scenario to a disabled person accessing a wheelchair. But not many in my personal experience will reciprocate the use of P&C for disabled.

Before Parent & Child parking bays, I preferred to park away from the main crowd, which often gave us as parents the room we needed, to get our son into his buggy, and also room to access the car with the shopping. One big plus, it encouraged our son to walk and not expect to be molly coddled.

On a humorous note, his partner finds it a little curious why he always parks at the far end of a car park, but fully understands his reasoning, which was mine shared with him once he started to have his own car.

One final comment, it isn't just able bodied people, while visiting a National Trust once, the car park was full, a disabled visitor decided to squeeze their small Nissan Micra between my drivers door and the car the otherside. His wife was in a wheelchair, so if someone should appreciate the need for wide parking bays, he should. Luckily, he had just arrived and hadn't got past the entrance as I returned to see if anyone could help.

He was given away by his sheepish behaviour when the young lad asked if anyone owned the Micra, along with the registration.

That driver had the audacity to hurl verbal abuse at me, saying I could have waited a short while while he and his wife had a cuppa!

The young lad from the NT gave him a very diplomatic dressing down, saying as a carer of someone in a wheelchair, he should appreciate the need for wide spaces. He reluctantly moved his Micra, and then, which to me and the NT lad, was a logical move, then used the bay I'd vacated.

However, I do find that today, people are becoming more and more self-centred, and showing total disregard for others, in any capacity, which is no comfort for people like yourself, and many others, who would do their best to show respect for wide parking bays.

The photo below was at our local supermarket

• As an ex blue badge user,my mobility has improved a little recently,we found a lot of misuse of disabled parking spaces and any comment often ended with abuse.
  • Hi

did you report it to the guys in the Visitor centre?

S