Why so many collared doves

My garden is popular with black/brown birds, sparrows, robins, jackdaws, wood pigeons and collared doves but today as i fed the birds in my garden i looked up at the silver birch tree and after counting i counted a total of 19 collared doves which i was gobsmacked at the number of them together as i have never experienced so many, but what i would like to know is why so many? As i only usually see perhaps two-four at most together, so to see 19 together was a wow moment, so i am just curious?

• Hi Hazel the area is quite sheltered and definitely a great food supply also, i can imagine seeing 50/60 of these being extremely beautiful that is some number.

Hazel C said:
    In our area we get gatherings of Collared doves in the winter, they mass in trees & can see 50/60 at times. It could be all your local youngsters have got together for the winter, especially if it's a bit sheltered around you, or there is a good food supply!
  • Hello Mr Duckling, welcome to the forum from up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. My that must have been some sight, I think at most I have had 6. They are lovely birds. I wonder why all of a sudden there were so many?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hello all,
    I was also going to ask the same question as previous years we have had 4-8 collared doves and this year I looked out to see SIXTEEN - three balanced on the bird feeder, one in the tree looking down and the rest pecking around the ground.
  • Hello Pirate, you are also being lucky in having all those Collard Doves.

Something to note, you may want to delete your private email from your details, having that showing anyone will be able to see it!

• Thank you, how did my email get on there??? Appreciate you pointing that out so quickly.
  • You are welcome. I think it happens when someone is new or when an update happens. When you click on your profile picture and go into settings you should see your email there. That is the email that RSPB holds but it says it will not be shown to others. When new or an update happens the email shows in a different place (when I clicked your picture icon), it is up to the individual to remove it. This is when it happend to me after we had an update previous to the last one, that someone kindly notified me, as I had no idea!

• Hi with reference to your question about the collard doves massing, my friends farm use to get a steady flock of 20 to 30 especially this time of year and that was because of the grain spillages to be had near the silos but the collard dove also has a homing instinct unlike its wood pigeon cousin so if good news about food travelled between them they be reluctant to move elsewhere Blush
    Regards James
  • Thanks James. I looked out the other day to see TWELVE goldfinches on the feeders (every perch was taken) and TWELVE collared doves pecking around underneath. It was a glorious site!
  • No worries, 12 Goldfinches! Your garden must be a lucky "Charm" ThumbsupWink