Fledgling wood pigeon or collar dove. - HELP

Hi all, 

Found a fledgling next to a busy dual-carriageway. No trees, undergrowth or bushes in sight. Pouring with rain and freezing cold so rescued it (only kind thing to do in the circumstance). It was not difficult to pick up although it hopped around a little bit. 

Due to being found on Saturday morning, we've been unable to reach any rescue centers and the ones we've managed to get in touch with today, either aren't too interested or are too far away to collect. (Sadly we have no means to travel to one as no car). 

We've followed general advice read online and in this forum, we got it back, warmed it up and it perked up - a lot. It;s been a happy little chappy, drinking and eating (pecking up food for itself) but this afternoon has become very lethargic and tends to just sleep/sit. We've been keeping it warm without trying to cook it but it's not really doing much now. We really don't want it to die, it's a lovely friendly little thing and deserves a chance. It doesn't do much chirping atall either.

Initially it tried to do some flying but wobbles over when it does. It now seems to have given up on that idea and prefers to trot around the house or sit. It doesn't wobble around when walking, only when it tried to fly, it doesn't seem to either have the hang of it yet or we're worried there is something wrong with it. It does not appear to have any injuries. We've bought it some bird feed which has seeds etc, we've tried it on some small bread lumps. 

We live in a mostly built-up area with barely any outside space and lots of neighbouring cats. We don't want to leave it outside as the neighbour cat has been seen several times savaging birds. 

We would really appreciate some help, ie - How long until it can fly, and therefore be released. How much it should eat/drink. Should we be thinking about force-feeding it/forcing fluids into it.

We've read somewhere that some green-looking droppings means it's starving, however they seem to come and go. Please see the pics and any advice would be amazing!

• Job nearly well done, look forward to updates later!
    Hoglet doing much better, eating & drinking & putting poorly leg to the ground, still waiting for wildlife nurse to return!  Short vid just after rescue ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I thought I'd add a cute pic of my own. 

Broccoli and Dandelion. These are two of the pidges currently in my care. They are a couple of months old, but are not siblings. They are both being treated for coccidiosis. I initially syringe fed them but they are now self feeding on seed. 

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• They are both looking extremely well thanks to your ongoing care MC!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Good luck to the hoggie and Broccoli and Dandelion, the birds are looking really good Paul.

Regards, Hazel 

• Update on Lee's woodpigeon rescue ………….    

duly collected young pidge who is around 3 weeks old;    we transferred it to our local wildlife centre where we were invited into the triage room as the bird was given a quick assessment before being taken into the hospital to be fed with a special mixed food paste which will be syringed in.   At this age the woodpigeon would still be receiving crop milk so the blended food mix will be a good substitute.    The bird's crop was a little empty and bird a little underweight but the good news is there was no sign of any injury, broken bones or wing damage and I asked if there was any sign of canker - which there wasn't.    After Lee's thoughtful rescue and TLC this young woodpigeon stands a good chance at recovery, assuming there is nothing medically underlying.    It is now receiving excellent care and will be fed three times a day (if I understood correctly).       So, without further ado here are a couple of photos especially for Lee and his family.   Well done for helping save this young bird.    

It travelled happily in the pet carrier down in the footwell of the car between my feet;  it preened a little and did little wing stretches !  

Put a soft cloth in the base of the pet carrier for comfort and lined with kitchen roll ………     here it is having a little siesta as the car movement rocked it to sleep  !

We then arrived at the wildlife hospital ….

filled in the admission forms (with Lee's details) and then went with a member of staff into the triage room where the bird was given a quick assessment.

what a cutie pie …..

So good luck pidge and thanks again to Lee and family for rescuing this young woodpigeon.     You deserve a good outcome and the hospital will do their best.     As I say, please only email the hospital for updates as the landline has to stay free for emergencies.    Thanks.   

Regards, Hazel 

• Well done everyone, wonderful news and for its future. Thank you all

• Yes, well done everybody

Nige   Flickr

• Not long home & delighted to read of your timely actions aitch & Mike ... Woodie stands a good chance of survival now it is to be hoped! Hope to hear that he piles on the weight very quickly!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Took my little hoggie to Vet this morning after he went downhill late last night ... waiting to hear if he's saveable but not very hopeful, actually very surprised he made it through the night ... sad!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sorry the hoggie's health has deteriorated Wendy and have fingers crossed it can still be saved, poor little thing. I don't know any more about the woodpigeon as I don't want to bother them before Friday to give them time to settle it in and treat if necessary. At least it is now on special food - substitute for crop milk so it should hopefully be gaining more weight in a day or two.

Regards, Hazel