Wagtails

Previously to having scaffolding around my house (roof replacement) my feeders were as usual infested with tits (in a nice way) since this has been taken down I'm now having loads of wagtails visiting, Any ideas why? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining

• Hi Bob
    Are you saying that the "wagtails" are coming to the feeders. That is something I've never heard of because they are insect eaters. Perhaps you could clarify.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I was thinking same as Tony but wondering if they could be Long tailed tits ?

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    wondering if they could be Long tailed tits ?

My thoughts exactly, Hazel. I'm beginning to get little family groups of them in the garden.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    My thoughts exactly, Hazel. I'm beginning to get little family groups of them in the garden.

Yes, I'm seeing more of them too as the cooler weather sets in;   lots of chirruping communication between them as always  !

@ Bob,  not a very good photo as it was taken years ago but to show you the long tailed tits which tend to come in groups to feeders and have "similar" colours to Pied Wagtails plus that long tail.    As Tony says Wagtails are insect eaters so would not normally be seen on feeders.     

Regards, Hazel 

• You may be right, I'll try to get a photo today and post it. Thanks to all for the feedback.
  • Morning Bob,     If you manage to get a photo you can upload it by following instructions HERE      meanwhile enjoy watching your garden birds.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hello,
    I have a grey wagtail visiting the feeder (seed with mealworms), a new daily visitor.
    The long-tails come every year but tend to arrive in much later.
    I read that the grey wagtail is on the red list.
    Thank you,
  • Hi Pirate, I'd be very surprised if you have grey wagtails at your feeder, as they are almost exclusively found by rivers, and eat insects

• Hello, I was surprised too but this is a picture off the internet of what it looks like:

it was flinging the food around, perhaps looking for the mealworms.  I will keep an eye out and see if I can get a photgraph of it.

• Do you think it could be a nuthatch? I don't seem to be too good at identifying birds! It is still coming to the feeder, only one and I read a bit about them but haven't heard it's call.
    Whatever it is very exciting to have a new visitor.