Blue tits hatching in Durham

After building their nest in a nestbox in my garden, the sound of little beaks was heard yesterday.

• They are lovely to watch, so funny when as soon as a parent arrives the 8 mouths gape open, all together.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A couple of short clips from tonight. The chicks looking bigger and stronger. There aren't 10 chicks now. I think we've lost 3 along the way.

I make it day 14 since the big hatching day, so hopefully the remaining chicks will all make it through this week.

• Great update and box-cam clips Billy, it is so wonderful to see the nestlings growing stronger, being fed and will only be a few days before they are off. We still have at least one active nest in our garage eaves but today we had sporadic intervals of heavy "monsoonal" rain that I think if fledgling was due today (as they must be pretty close to fledging) the adults will keep them back, safe and dry a little longer !

Regards, Hazel 

• They are getting bigger and stronger now and hopefully will be away very soon, it would be so good if you were able to see them fledge and even a get a photo, especially after we have followed the nest with you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• There are six chicks alive and kicking from the original ten hatched eggs.

Update tonight is that mam and dad visited nest at about 7.15pm to feed the chicks, and haven't been back since.
    This is the first night the chicks have been left in the nest on their own overnight.

Hope mam's OK and I'm hoping that it might be approaching fledge day and chicks need some time without her.

• Fingers crossed they are all ready to fledge but do hope both the parents are around to continue to feed them. Thanks for the update Billy,

Regards, Hazel 

• Mam and dad back this morning doing what they do, so all good

• All good with the nest. Chicks more mobile than ever and are all over the nest. 

• Evening report. Chicks almost ready to go as far as I can see. Video today of first chick looking out of the nest followed by tonight, with all of them asleep. It's a happy and sad moment, as I'm worried for them to leave the safety of their nest box. Mam and dad are still feeding them so they won't be on their own.

• Such a beautiful moment when you see the nestling looking out of the box and around its surroundings; won't be long before they leave and I hope they all fledge successfully and stay safe. Lovely clips Billy, good luck to all the chicks.

Regards, Hazel