Blue tit dilemma

Hello, I'll try to be concise.

I bought a new bird box some weeks ago and left it on the step outside the garden doors - with the intention of positioning it once a new fence was fixed.  Fast forward to new fence and me getting everything to hand to fix it.  However, on picking up the bird box I realised a nest had already been built in it.  I had no idea this was going on because the box is virtually at ground level and it didn't occur to me that a bird would make its nest there.

Now both blue tit parents are backwards and forwards every few minutes (presumably feeding the young?) and I feel helpless in preventing a disaster.  The neighbour's cat appears from time to time (I have a squirty water bottle handy) and I really don't know what if anything I can do to make the birds safer.

If I moved the box to a higher position, would the parents find them? Maybe hear their call?  Or would the box be abandoned?

Your suggestions would be so much appreciated. With thanks,

Jenny

• Hello Jenny, that is lovely you have a pair of  blue tit's, I am sure others will give you advice.

J

• Hi Jenny, that is a predicament you have there. Normally you are not supposed to touch or interfere with a nest ect, but are you able to move the box up slightly from where it is at ground level, onto something that the cat or others will not be able to get at the box. Other will give their advice also. Good luck.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.