Tame buzzard in garden

Hi seeking any information for the last two days I have a buzzard looks young coming to the garden I have thrown raw mince out and  it flies to your feet to get the food it sits on the fence calling for more food.  You can walk quite close to it before it flies off I live in a very Rural area surrounded by trees and forests but whilst we have seen buzzards before they have never flown close. This one seems so tame.  It is not afraid of dogs or humans it can fly has no injuries is not ringed and it is definitely a buzzard.  Whilst he flies off into the forests every now and again he keeps coming back sitting on the fence or on the house roof or gutter . Any advice

• Thanks for the info I’m in Dorset near Bovington tank museum/moreton forest. We will monitor the situation over the next couple of days and contact the wildlife place at Blandford if we have concerns
  • Hi Eliz, as Alan says, it is most unusual for a common buzzard to be so confiding and agree with all the comments. Perhaps it is one of last years juveniles which is being out-competed for prey food and it is now desperate for an easy meal. I would definitely contact your local wildlife helpline via Alan's link and if you can, keep a food supply going for it with meat or chicken scraps (minus bones) as often birds don't look that skinny until you have them in hand and then find out they feel quite emaciated; having said this ......... definitely not suggesting you go anywhere near this bird or try to pick it up but one of the wildlife/bird experts (if they suggest coming out to this bird) will be able to tell if they try to capture it. We had a sick cock pheasant in the garden just over a year ago and when the RSPCA attended and picked it up he could see the crop and gullet were so empty that the bird was starving to death. I also photographed a short eared Owl a couple of years ago and two days later that bird was found dead due to starvation and having been out-competed for food. My best guess is that it is a juvenile which hasn't been able to catch enough prey for itself ........but I'm not an expert either so I would seek advice/help from your local wildlife centre at Blandford. At the very least they can offer professional advice based on your information about this buzzard and how often it is turning up in your garden. Good luck and let us know how you get on.