Bet you can't guess where I am!! Arran, I am back !!Update (02/09/18)

Good evening all. Well I am on the Isle of Arran. I have told you that we visit here as we have family here and usually camp in Lochranza, it is always in the summer. We had an unexpected invitation to come over to a family birthday and reunion, after booking leave, the cat into the cattery, a self catering cottage, leaving at 7.30am, ferry over, 7.5 hrs travel, here we are! We have a lovely little cottage for a few nights, fully furnished, it's just lovely and with a bottle of red wine and some fresh flowers on arrival! On reading the guest book, many birds and red squirrels come to the garden, where is my bird food, at home! Well I packed everything I thought we would need! We met up with some family on the ferry and took them home, on the way one shouted, there is a huge bird sitting on that rock, it must have been a buzzard the other said, no far too big, I think it was the Golden Eagle!! My eyes are going to be peeled, hopefully I will get a few photos of some birds, wildlife and the views and post them when I get home. Lovely run down and over, dry, no wind, rain, snow, ice so fingers crossed!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks all for your kind words.

James, to be honest it was a very dark looking black squirrel!

Mike, no excuse then. Arran is Scotland in minature, I love it.

• Feeling very jealous Catlady,your cottage looks to be in a similar area to where we stopped last September. We had two Golden Eagle days the second was probably the best GE sighting I have had in all my years watching raptors.We did struggle to get Hen Harriers though and it was not until we were heading for the ferry on our last day that we got one near Glen Sannox. We were hoping to go again this year but we are not sure yet.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Lynn L said:

Thanks all for your kind words.

James, to be honest it was a very dark looking black squirrel!

Mike, no excuse then. Arran is Scotland in minature, I love it.

CL, I have very good reason for not venturing to Bonnie Scotland, I'm still recovering from major leg reconstruction, and the long drive has been strongly advised against for the time being.

Our family friend has mountains, well, the correct term is Corbetts, the Monadhliath Mountains, literally tens mins walk from the front door!

Pre-accident, I was hoping to complete a full-on winter climb, using ice axe, crampons and full winter gear.

• Well done Pete on gettng the Golder Eagle, when we camp at Lochranza, we could see the GE flying above and around the distillery, in the very far off distance!!

Sorry to hear about leg operation Mike, I hope you make a full recovery, and will be able to get out and about again, even if not in the same capacity as before.

• Michael B said:
    Pre-accident, I was hoping to complete a full-on winter climb, using ice axe, crampons and full winter gear.

Now I am proper jealous Mike thiat would have been my perfect day out up to a number of years ago. We could not wait for snow conditions when I worked in Scotland in fact one of my most memorable holidays was a winter mountaineering course that included 2 nights snow holing Oh happy days !! I hope you get chance again soon to go out for a full winter day,nothing like a good frozen waterfall.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:

Now I am proper jealous Mike thiat would have been my perfect day out up to a number of years ago. We could not wait for snow conditions when I worked in Scotland in fact one of my most memorable holidays was a winter mountaineering course that included 2 nights snow holing Oh happy days !! I hope you get chance again soon to go out for a full winter day,nothing like a good frozen waterfall.

[/quote]
    The last day of my winter skills course was probably the hardest mountaineering I've ever done, my legs ached for a couple of days, but it was the best and most inspiring ascent and descent I've ever done.
    I doubt I'll ever go mountaineering again due to the extensive damage done, and the fact the healing process seems to have stopped. But I've been there, I've done it, and I've fabulous memories.
    The last photo I was taking the lead on the climb.
  • Michael B said:
    I doubt I'll ever go mountaineering again due to the extensive damage done, and the fact the healing process seems to have stopped. But I've been there, I've done it, and I've fabulous memories.

I was lucky as it gave me an opening into working for a while in outdoor pursuits before settling down to a "proper" job but as you say Mike been there and got the T shirt but back problems then lung problems put the kybosh on that. I still manage short walks birding on our local moors which is worth a lot

Pete

• Wendy S said:

I was lucky as it gave me an opening into working for a while in outdoor pursuits before settling down to a "proper" job but as you say Mike been there and got the T shirt but back problems then lung problems put the kybosh on that. I still manage short walks birding on our local moors which is worth a lot

I'm sorry to read about the problems, but as you say, and it's my view as well, at least we can still get out, even if only short walks that we enjoy.

What it does do is show how precious and valuable life is, not just ours, but nature as well.

• Michael B said:
    What it does do is show how precious and valuable life is, not just ours, but nature as well.

Very true Mike,birding and nature watching in general, has really helped Chris and myself through some low times.

Pete

• Wendy S said:

Very true Mike,birding and nature watching in general, has really helped Chris and myself through some low times.

[/quote]

I can relate to the low times, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I've never been one to let the weather beat me, but this time it has, not because I want to stand back, my circumstances have dictated I stand back.

But the (very dirty) kitchen window does allow me to view and photograph the nature in our very urban garden.