sparrows pecking our concrete floor?

We have many sparrows queing up to fly into our garage It has a concrete floor and they come in even when we are in there and spend ages pecking at the floor!Does anybody know why? The only answer we have come up with is they are sharpening their beaks?
  • Hi Marion I can't help you with your question, you could be right about them sharpening their beaks or they could be getting something like grit out of the concrete.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

hi Never seen them doing this before but its a very active thing sometimes 3 pecking away

• In reply to marionspelman:

would they ues this for nesting material?

I'm not sure how they finish their nests off, with this dust mixed with saliva would make a hard finish of they leave it soft with moss etc.

Some birds that are seed eaters will eat grit to help break down the hard shell of certain seeds, not sure if Sparrows do it.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

ty how do upload pictures from Iphone onto this site? maybe someone would know why?

You can add a photo as an attachment (there is another way but it means altering a setting on here) try clicking the "use rich formatting" link under the reply box and you should see the option to add an attachment.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

do you possibly have ants that they could be eating ? and if not it would say it would be the grit from the concrete as there maybe a lime stone mix in it somewhere :D

• In reply to Dale :

no ants dale.the floor in the garage was painted in a grey paint but they have pecked and chipped the paint off in little patches and pecking at the concrete below.. will try and get a picture and upload

That's really mysterious, Marion.  So they first  pecked  the  paint away,  but  isn't the concrete much harder? Do they  actually manage  to  get  something off? (Is already a bit of  concrete missing  now?) Lately I thought I saw birds (Goldfinches and Great Tits) pecking the  grouting out of  the walls,  but  then found  out  they  were  collecting cobwebs.

Yours is a different story, of course.  

A photo  would be great! 

• In reply to Martin A:

Hi Marion looking on the rspb site says they use grit from the concrete to help break down food in there stomachs and also sharpen there beaks.