Vulnerable Pigeon

Hello all. I don’t expect I’ll be posting here beyond this query as I’m not particularly that interested in birds, but I thought of no better place to come for advice about a vulnerable pigeon, as I can’t stand unnecessary suffering. There is a pigeon in my back room that doesn’t seem able to fly. Originally it was on the patio outside this room when the door was open. I arrived into my back garden from the allotments immediately behind and found the pigeon behaving sluggishly. As I approached my home and the pigeon from the garden, the bird didn’t scarper and fly off as expected. I got to 3 feet of it and it still didn’t fly, but there are no observable injuries and it appears to walk ok, but slowly. There are a lot of stray cats around here some of which come in and out of the garden and allotments most of the time. Left to itself outside, I have no doubt the cats will give it a grisly death; which I would now feel responsible for. What should I do?
  • He's certainly in the best place to be if you're a sickly Pigeon.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Congrats to all involved in helping this Woodpigeon, well done Archi for making efforts to get help for the pigeon via this Community and fantastic job MC  - I would expect nothing less from you LOL    keep us updated :)  

Regards, Hazel 

• Archie, well done you for the kindness and consideration shown to the pigeon. You may not have an interest in birds but have a kind heart to do what you did. MC, well done to you for the effort that you put in to getting the bird to the centre. To the rest who gave help, thank you. It goes to show that this is a truly wonderful forum where all pull together to help each other out.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I also enquired about this Wood Pigeon today and the good news is that it made a full recovery.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• So pleased that you posted this news on successful recovery of Woodie as I quickly realised that this drama had completely passed me by!

I have read it all now & what an amazing story ... a great outcome indeed as it all started with humanitarian action by AS 'who's not much into birds' & followed through by your prompt actions (not forgetting D's part)!

More grateful thanks to Pigeon Rescue!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr