new bins

Hellow everyone

We would like to splash out on a new pair of bins but not really sure what sort to get.  Can anyone give advice as to what would be the best type for birding i.e. magnification size etc. Looking at not more than a £100 or should we be paying more?

• Good evening everyone

Happy to report the bins are a success!  They seemed a bit big at first but I got used to them very quickly.   Focus was clear and panaromic.   I'm really longsighted and these suited me perfectly.  OH also found them ok and he's very shortsighted (No I'm not talking about his shortcomings he is really really shortsighted).

Yes Sparrow I managed to switch them on LOL (your'e getting me back aren't you after my comment about shaking the camera! {smiling kindly}).......but I have to admit I took the protective hood off and was surprised to find I couldn't see anything at all at first.  Shaking his head with wonder, my OH very kindly pointed out that perhaps taking the lense caps off as well would make things much clearer! Hey presto it worked!

Squirrel they're not too heavy thankfully.  However as they are much bigger than our old ones, when I was walking along I found I was clanking them like mad against the camera and at one point in danger of strangling myself in my excitement to catch a glimpse of a Marsh Harrier...(can you believe it....a Marsh Harrier!)!    Confession time: I didn't know it was one until somebody said it was!!!

Also bought me'self a little book from the visitor centre on how to id birds!

• Hi Kezmo,

A marsh harrier? I wouldn't know one if it landed on my head!!! I'm so pleased the bins were a success.  I'm also glad they were bins and not a camera - you could have taken a photo of the marsh harrier and got a black image of nothing when you got home!! (Been there, seen it, done it, etc. etc.) At least your OH was kind when he pointed it out to you. Mine would have been rolling on the floor in laughter and let me carry on thinking I'd gone blind!!

You seem to have had a good day out, I'm pleased for you.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

Hi Kezmo, A marsh harrier? I wouldn't know one if it landed on my head!!!

Hi Sparrow - I think you probably would, actually!!!!! LOL

Hi Kezmo, so glad you are pleased with them - for your hubby's sake as well as yours. It certainly sounds as though you have given them a good "road-test". I know what you mean about things slung around your neck though - there has to be an alternative solution and I haven't worked out what it is yet, although my bins are small enough to fit into a fleece jacket pocket.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

•  

Marsh harrier?

So where did you try them out?

If it was Titchwell I might have seen you guys  today :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi Kezmo,

So pleased you got on well with your new bins.  Re. the bumping - I have seen advertised a kind of harness arrangement so that you can have your camera on one side of you and your bins on the other without them clashing together.  Not sure I wold want to use one but if you are interested they are available at

www.newprouk.co.uk

I was out today with my newish bins too.  Took the Viking 8x42s and saw some great birds with them.

SB

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• Hi S

Actually we went to two reserves, both in Essex under the Essex Wildlife Trust.  We went to Abberton Reservoir in the morning.  Got to see some nice.....um....well water really.  Not much there today.  A regular came by and even commented on the lack of activity.  We did though get to see Lapwings, Canada and Greylag Geece and some Shelducks.   As it was just after 1-ish we decided to go over to Fingringhoe Wix which isn't far from Abberton Reservoir.  Plenty going on here.  Far too far away to get a photo but there was a Spoonbill, and as I was looking at it through a spotting scope (kindly offered to me by another visitor) I noticed this large blob going across my field of vision.  Looked up and the man beside me was, my first thought break dancing,then I realised he was just excited as the Marsh Harrier had done a fly by from where we were standing.  Obviously a photo wasn't an option but I did get into rythm with the guy next to me and we were happily break dancing while the MH was in full view.

I saw my first Avocet today as well.  I like these birds, very graceful.  Lots of other waders too so all in all a lovely day out. Freezing cold but well worth it.  I'm just looking through my photos and seeing which ones to upload.  I think I might have got a Curlew but the image is fuzzy.  We took plenty of photos and will try and post those that come out well but my computer is slow so don't stop what you are doing.

• Hi Squirrel

Our first bins are handy to put in a pocket so the new ones did feel a bit strange.  Half way through the day, OH did comment that I looked rather knotted up and confused.  As this is my usual pace of life, I wasn't sure at the time what he meant LOL

• Hi SB

Thanks for the tip.

How were your new bins and what did you get to see?

• Hi Kezmo.  I'm very pleased with mine, they give lovely, clear, bright views and are so much better than my old ones.  They came with a neoprene neck strap and it is so comfy that I am going to buy some for my other bins and my camera.  I think they must be the bungee type that Seymouraves was recommending recently.

I was at the Hampshire Wildlife Trust reserve at Blashford Lakes and I saw goldeneye (a first for me), tufties, wigeon and all the usual waterfowl.  In the woodland hide I saw dozens of chaffinch, bramblings, siskin and redpolls (another first).  Also saw four types of tit and a pair of GS Woodies.  Brilliant! 

In one of the hides I asked a man about his scope as I am thinking of buying  one.  He very kindly let me have a go with it and then told me it was a Swarovski and the whole kit cost about three grand.  Hmmm!  I shan't be getting one of those.  Very impressive though and great views over the other side of the lake that I couldn't see even with the expensive new varifocal specs I have just bought!

I'll post a couple of my photos from today when I've sorted them out. 

SB

There is something new to learn everyday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skylark58/

• Unknown said:

Hi Kezmo.  I'm very pleased with mine, they give lovely, clear, bright views and are so much better than my old ones.  They came with a neoprene neck strap and it is so comfy that I am going to buy some for my other bins and my camera.  I think they must be the bungee type that Seymouraves was recommending recently.

In one of the hides I asked a man about his scope as I am thinking of buying  one.  He very kindly let me have a go with it and then told me it was a Swarovski and the whole kit cost about three grand.  Hmmm!  I shan't be getting one of those. 

Hi,

see my post about second hand scopes:)))

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box