Robins neat

Hi, I have been watching for weeks, robins build a nest in our nest box, they come and go and it’s been wonderful! Yesterday evening, there was an almighty commotion and we looked out and saw a cat on the wall, our dog ran out to scare it away, but the robin on the tree watching the nest was chirping away like mad. This morning, there is a dead fledgling on the grass and it looks like the nest has b en pulled to the front of the nest box. We know that the cat couldn’t reach the box, as it was positioned in a difficult spot. Would the robins have messed up their own nest? Also, could they possibly come back or have they now abandoned the nest box. We are afraid to look in, just in case it puts them off altogether...it’s so sad.

• The Robins are unlikely to have destroyed their own nest. Maybe the cat managed to get a paw into the box (assuming it's an open fronted Robin box)? Was the dead youngster full sized? Maybe the others have already left the nest. You will know if the Robins are still there because they will fly at you if you get too close. If there is no activity when you approach, then chances are there are no young left in there. Robins do occasionally use the same nest twice, but in this case it seems unlikely. Maybe you could put something on the ground for next year? I use pvc coated galvanised mesh. It is solid, not like the netting used for fruit or the rolls of plastic mesh. It comes in small sheets. Homebase sell it. I create an enclosure around the area of the box. The Robins can come and go as they please but cats cannot get in. I'm sure the female is busy constructing another nest nearby. Good luck.
  • Thanks @monkeycheese. The youngster had feathers, possibly not all on the wings, however, it wasn’t a newborn. The nest looks like it has been pulled forward to the front of the open fronted box. They were really screeching last night, I wish I’d checked the ground but wanted to get the dog back in. I really want to cat proof the garden as we have so many feathered friends at the moment visiting, I’m sure it’s bringing the cat it. I will get some of the galvanised mesh that you’ve recommended, at least I can get ready for next year. I’m really hoping that they come back.
    Thanks again