Cats and taut wire above fence.

Hi

I've had problems with my neighbour's cats fouling and killing wildlife in my garden. I was wondering if anyone has tried taut wire and if it has deterred the cats from walking along it.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Little Wren, the strips Alan mentioned in the link won't harm the cats in any way so your neighbour shouldn't complain and I'd keep the hosepipe handy too to squirt at the cat if it comes in your garden - that won't harm them either but may help deter it. Good luck with the trying the wire too although the plastic spikes may be more aesthetically acceptable to your neighbour.

Regards, Hazel 

• If it is not practical to have a hosepipe handy as Hazy suggests try a large water pistol,one of the large ones that look like a multi coloured machine gun. We borrowed one from the grandsons and found it very effective and no complaints from neighbours so far.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• There are some good suggestions and cats will often find an alternative route to visit if they can.

However, beware of your neighbour challenging you, particularly if the fence isn't your responsibility.

• Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've put the wire on my fence and so far 3 of the 4 cats haven't been seen on it at all.
    The more persistent cat did walk more cautiously across it, but turned around and went back into it's own garden. Yay! Still early days as this particular cat usually finds another way in, but I'm really looking forward to wildlife gardening next year and the birds have been peacefully feeding all day.

Thanks again for your advice.

LW
  • Also this is what this site has to say.
    www.rspb.org.uk/.../

and as was mentioned water pistols are handy but trying not to let cats see you, as it is the element of surprise,that will deter them,if they cannot see where jet is coming from.