Birding Tips #15 Binocular specs

BINOCULAR Specifications

for Birding the best sizes are -

8x30 - small lightweight ,     porro prism normally--  General birding, bird tables etc

8x 32 -  small lightweight ,  normally roof prism-  General birding-

8x 40 -  general use bins- porro or roof prism - good field of view -   at home in woodland, rain forest etc

8x 42 - probably the birder bins of choice atm-  roof prism -  good field of view - at home in woodland, rain forest etc

7x 42 - bright image, huge field of view and deep depth of field, roof prism- excellent in rain forest and on dull winter days etc.

10 x32 - small and powerful but not great in rain forests, leafy woodland  or at dusk. Narrow field of view.

10 x42 - Popular size , big image , normally roof prism- great for open country birding, not so good in rain forest and woodland.

10 x50. - Big and heavy - bright image,bulky  but optically excellent  roof prism, also available as porro.

As a guide, divide the second number by the first- the higher the figure, the better the light gathering power of the bins. Anything below 4 is probably not bright enough for birding in all conditions.

• seymouraves said:
    As a guide, divide the second number by the first

So it's not enough that we have to try and remember what all the different birds look like, now you want us to do arithmetic too?!!

• Hi Seymour, thats some handy info, I shall be putting this in my favorite posts to refer to when the time comes and I get my bins, there is so much stuff I need to get started at the minute, and I don't know if I've got my priorities right, but I shall be purchasing my camera first, the bins will have to wait.

• Hi Seymour

Thanks for that info.

Please can you advise which brands we might consider in order of best value for money?

I want a decent pair of bins that will last a long time and do the job of general birding, bird tables and a bit of open countryside/woodland.

Is there any help that you can offer?

I have just bought a lens that crept into 4 figures so I hope to buy some bins for approx £200 or less.

Best wishes Chris

•  

Hi,

bearing in mind that you should always try a pair of binoculars before buying I would suggest for under £200 that you look at  Opticron explorer 8x42, Delta  S8X42  and RSPB 8X42 - all look good as waterproof roof prisms. They should last 10 years + .

:))

S

• Thanks Seymour

I am currently watching these on eBay: Opticron HR WP 8 x 42 Porro Prism Binoculars. These may be a little different to the Explorer, but I have been looking at Opticron.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120471118881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Best wishes Chris

• seymouraves said:

BINOCULAR Specifications

for Birding the best sizes are -

8x30 - small lightweight ,     porro prism normally--  General birding, bird tables etc

8x 32 -  small lightweight ,  normally roof prism-  General birding-

8x 40 -  general use bins- porro or roof prism - good field of view -   at home in woodland, rain forest etc

8x 42 - probably the birder bins of choice atm-  roof prism -  good field of view - at home in woodland, rain forest etc

7x 42 - bright image, huge field of view and deep depth of field, roof prism- excellent in rain forest and on dull winter days etc.

10 x32 - small and powerful but not great in rain forests, leafy woodland  or at dusk. Narrow field of view.

10 x42 - Popular size , big image , normally roof prism- great for open country birding, not so good in rain forest and woodland.

10 x50. - Big and heavy - bright image,bulky  but optically excellent  roof prism, also available as porro.

As a guide, divide the second number by the first- the higher the figure, the better the light gathering power of the bins. Anything below 4 is probably not bright enough for birding in all conditions.

Good value makes include Opticron and RSPB , Porro prism Bins ( the ones shaped like classic WW2 bins ) are cheaper than 'roof prism' bins ( the ones that look like 2 parallel tubes ) .

Good companies to deal with are Kay Optical, In focus, Focus Optics, LCE , Warehouse express. Bird magazines have ads from suitable places and second hand equipment is ussually available from them.

Here's a boosted  and UPDATED post about Binocular specifications :)

S

• Woodpecker,my wife uses a pair of these and over the last year or so has been very pleased with them.Like myself she prefers the porro prism design even though they a bit bulkier.By the way your link to the e bay site for them seems to have expired

Woodpecker said:

Thanks Seymour

I am currently watching these on eBay: Opticron HR WP 8 x 42 Porro Prism Binoculars. These may be a little different to the Explorer, but I have been looking at Opticron.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120471118881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Best wishes Chris

•  

thanks for the info seymore it was very helpful.. i'll be watching for a decent pair of 8 x 42s on the bootsales.

cheers

corni  

• This thread has been Boosted for newbies!

S

• Now that Seymour has boosted this thread it may be worth pointing out that in my opinion the lower /budget end of the optics market are so much better now than even 5 years ago as the development at the top trickles down.Those at the top of the range are as ever brilliant and seem to be getting better but the sub £200 pound bins are way above anything dreamt off when a lot of us started.There is some good stuff out there at a reasonable price,just watch out for the junk.