Swallow nests and protecting Doves

Hi everyone, just two questions:

1. I have swallows that come back to my garden each year however this year the nest fell down due to the weight of the chicks,  should i leave them to build their own nest or put a man made nest up there?

2. I would like to buy some doves and a dove house for my garden, how can i protect them from predators? i should mention that i have magpie's and crows there too?

Thanks.

• I have put up a number of shelves just below the roof within the structure my swallows nest in. Since doing this a number of years ago they have always built on a shelf rather than directly against a wall.

I also have a premade bought swallow nest  - but this has never been used other than for the fledglings to sit in whilst being fed.

CJ

• Hi spins

Ref the doves. firstly be sure you want them.

You will need at least 4 to 6.

They will need netting in for at least 3 weeks or they will simply fly away. this means you will have to clean all the dirt out daily.

You can also attract other pigeons and this can be a problem.

They will sit on your window cills and roof and take some shifting.

sorry if I sound a fuddy duddy but I have doves and a cote and know at first hand.

Also breeding is a problem when the doves are settled. each pair will have 3 or more sets of young a year. usually 2 at a time.

The best way is to remove the eggs and put false ones in the nest, I know its hard but its really the only way.

If you do breed then keeping the compartments  clean is a mommoth of a job and the young will need moving at about 3 weeks old before they fledge

Cats will be the main problem although I have had a couple of kills by sparrowhawk but six birds have 12 eyes.

Hope this helps

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic