Book Review: Collins Bird Guide 3rd Edition

TIME was when the definitive identification guide for British and European Birds was ‘Peterson' - short for Roger Peterson, Guy Mountfort and Phil Hollom, creators of A Field Guide to The Birds of Britain and Europe.

The consensus among birders (or birdwatchers as they used to be known) was that  this publication could not be surpassed for the quality of its illustrations and its pointers to specific identification characteristics in plumage.

But then along came Dublin-born ornithologist and artist  Killian Mullarney who took the view that an updated manual had become more than overdue.

Why? Because the advent of high-resolution binoculars and telecopes - plus the launch of relatively low-cost digital cameras - meant that it had become possible to look at birds' plumage in a much more detailed way than hitherto.

These new insights were reflected in an increasing number of artistic and photographic contributions (sometimes revealing new species or sub-species) to British Birds magazine and other ornithological journals. But this information was not appearing  in books.

'Peterson' and similar handbooks from other publishers, such as Hamlyn, had served their purpose, but they were now nowhere near as definitive as they had been in the past. Though still relevant (as they remain to this day), an explosion of fresh knowledge  was rendering them out-of-date.

This recognition was springboard for publication in 1999, after much stopping and starting, of the 1st Edition of Collins Bird Guide - subtitled The Most Complete Field Guide to The Birds of Britain and Europe.

The volume proved an instant a hit with birders in the UK, across Europe and beyond.

The range of species was substantially greater, particularly with gulls. In 'Petersen', they had only comprised two plates, both in black-and-white, and only of birds in flight.

By contrast, in the 1st Edition of Collins Bird Guide, they number 16 pages, both in flight and stationary, and all in colour.

But with recent publication of the 3rd Edition, knowledge of new species and sub-species has meant that no fewer than 30 pages are now dedicated to gulls.

Right through the 3rd Edition, there have been many other enhancements, both illustrations and text, to the two predecessor editions in the wake of new information which seems to flow faster by the day.

Mullarney is not the sole artist - his companion for all three editions has been Sweden-based Dan Zetterstrom.

Presumably both have their own unique styles but it is well-night impossible for an untrained eye to establish which species were painted by which artist. Were they working to a style they agreed to between themselves?

Whatever the case, every depiction, without exception, is fantastic - often almost mesmerisingly exquisite in detail.

Where space allows, with some species - for instance Alpine swifts - they have improved on earlier editions by incorporating additional habitat backdrop both to provide context and to create ‘in-the-field’ atmosphere which add vibrancy to the plates.

A word, too, for the concise textural descriptions of individual species and maps supplied by Lars Svensson, successor to Killian's co-initiator, Peter Grant who sadly has died since publication of the 1st Edition.

The 3rd Edition of Collins Bird Guide is published at £30. Within the UK, it is currently only available in hardback.

However, there is also an App, and  a paperback version is due out, possibly as soon as next month.

• Or even better is Collins bird app for Britain and Europe, which can also be bought in hardback and paperback
    apps.apple.com/.../id868827305
    play.google.com/.../details
    This is the links to the Collins Bird Bird Guide of Britain and Europe which keeps updating on a recular basis. The first link is the Collins Bird App from Apple. The second link is the Collins Bird for use on Android other devises. I can’t comment about the Collins Bird Gide App for use on other devices as I have an Apple iPad and iPhone. The Collins Guide for use on Apple has a basic version which is free. The extra add on’s you can are quite expensive. But in my view the extra add on’s are well worth buying!

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi

a few addendums :)

Killian and Dan have somewhat differing styles which only really show up in the larger format versions-
    the best way to ID a bird illustrators work is often by the way they paint feet :)

Previous to the Collins and following on from the Peterson was Lars Jonssons Birds of Europe which definitely set new standards:

Peter Grant died in 1991- 8 years before the book was published :(

He is still missed.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Thanks for those observations, Thomo

For portability, an app on a smartphone wins hands down, especially in the field.

I acknowledge that’s also way younger birders (the future) like things to be.

However, I just like the ‘feel’ of a book and the sensation of turning pages, especially at home.
  • Brilliant observation, seymouraves!

In the past, I’ve never really examined the feet - I will do now!
  • I have a copy of Jonsson's book which is very good, especially the text.

However, I don't think the illustrations are as delicate and precise as in the Collins Bird Guide, nor the quality of the print as sharp.

Notwithstanding, Jonsson makes some astute comments in his introduction:

"Birds are living creatures; their appearance changes not only with age, season and light conditions, but also with our own knowledge and experience.

"For me, it is as enjoyable and exciting to look for subtle differences and characteristics in the seemingly common species as in the more common ones.

"Each new contact with a species often provides some small detail or a deeper insight.

"Every depiction of a bird is basically an interpretation, and it can only convey a certain part of the complex reality, no matter how intimately the bird has been studied."

• Hi-

LJ's depiction of birds facial expressions are better- IMHO

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Jim Wright said:
    Thanks for those observations, Thomo

For portability, an app on a smartphone wins hands down, especially in the field.

I acknowledge that’s also way younger birders (the future) like things to be.

However, I just like the ‘feel’ of a book and the sensation of turning pages, especially at home.

Sadly I’m not young. But still very fit at 70 years old and started birdwatching in 1958. But I’m not the oldest member of my RSPB Group. One person I’ve mentioned on here many times and still going strong and still very fit at 92-93 years of age and walked 8 miles round Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve 2-3 years ago in torrential train all day and 92/93 this year can still beat us younger oldies including myself at 70/80 years old. And she can beat some of the younger members of my RSPB Group in their 20’s/30’s. She is an amazing lady with her walking stick and walking round the Island of Lindisfarne quite fast and her sharp memory at present is amazing!

Regards,

Ian.

• That’s fantastic. If you did it yesterday, you can do it today. If you did it today, you can do it tomorrow. Keep birding!