Where to watch Birds in East Anglia - David Callahan

Review here- https://markavery.info/2020/11/29/sunday-book-review-where-to-watch-birds-in-east-anglia-by-david-callahan/

I have ordered a copy- with no travel abroad this year I'm exploring adjacent counties instead- I hope this fits in by bird bag side pocket - 

S

• well this book is..... unusual ?

As usual with this type of book I checked the write up on two of my regular local patches - and found a misleading map and incorrect info about migrants. Rare breeding birds were dealt with well on the whole IMHO- .

The bird listing is unusual though technically correct- he avoids the common birding vernacular in the main body text
    and uses the full proper official bird species names instead.

Hence :

Western - Barn Owl , Marsh Harrier, Osprey- 

in case of Eastern Osprey from Australasia?

Eurasian -- Bittern, Bullfinch , Hobby, Woodcock, Tree Sparrow, Spoonbill, Dotterel, Siskin .
    In case of American Tree Sparrow?

European - Turtle Dove, Goldfinch.
    In case of Oriental Turtle Dove?

Common - Grasshopper Warbler, Cuckoo, Whitethroat, Greenshank, Chaffinch,
    In case of PG Tips or Nordmanns?

Greater - Scaup,
    In case of Lesser?

and PIED AVOCET :) I must try that one in Parrinder soon .

Some wording was unusual  * - the adjective Strafe ( falcons) came up as did Foraging ( waders) and Cab (taxi ). Extirpated ( exterminated destroyed annihilated Willow Tits ?)

And Habituated ( accustomed) also appeared.  And possibly Intersection for junction?

* Once I started imagining it spoken with an American accent it seemed to work.

Layout is fine- no illustrations just maps and easy to suss info on Grid ref address email etc.

I'm going to use it for Cambridgeshire and Suffolk but will probably stick with Neil Glenn's Norfolk WTW guide.

S