'The Art of Mindful Birdwatching' - Claire Thompson

'The Art of Mindful Birdwatching: Reflections on Freedom & Being' 
by Claire Thompson

I'd like to do a quick review of this book for anyone interested in the correlation between the natural world and improvement of our individual mental health.

My copy of this book was a birthday gift to me, from someone who's not into birdwatching. However, it offered a different perspective on the pursuit, making me think a little deeper about the subconscious reason that I go out with a pair of binoculars. Why, as humans, do we feel a connection to the animals around us in some way? This book offers an interesting, spiritual glance at the hobby that I hadn't considered before.

It's an accessible read, meaning that it's not too 'hippy'. Clear descriptions of easy activities to try are presented throughout the chapters.

If you do get yourself a copy of this book, approach it with an open mind and try the activities suggested within each chapter. I can assure you it'll give you a deeper insight into the enjoyment that we gain from our natural experiences.

★★★☆

[Further reading] - Claire Thompson has also done a similar book about Mindfulness within the natural world that doesn't focus on the hobby of birdwatching, but it nonetheless similarly interesting.