RED KITE BOOK

Considering the number of queries often seen on the Forum about Red Kites there is a new book out this month that may interest some people. The Red Kite's Year by Ian Carter & Dan Powell ( pub. Pelagic Publishing) is a very readable book that covers a lot of the phases of the Red Kites life during the seasons with emphasis on the breeding season and the "growing up" of the young birds. Feeding,both feeding stations like the ones in Wales and Dumfries and Galloway as well as individuals feeding in their garden is also discussed. There is a lot of information about reintroduction schemes which may help people understand how they come to see the species beginning to be seen on their patch. I may be a little biased as some information is from a friend of mine who helped get me interested more deeply in Red Kites.in our area. The book is well illustrated in colour with many of the pictures being field type sketches. Some may think these a little basic but I love the thought of someone sat out there with their sketch pad watching and drawing the birds in their daily life. For any birder interested in this magnificent raptor I  can recommend this book for your must read list,Even after reading through the book fully I will be often dipping into it to pick up information to help these birds prosper.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can