CHRISTMAS BOOKS

Has any forum user got any good books on their Christmas list ? I have just got what could be a lovely little book using up an Amazon voucher I got for my birthday back in September. It is Bowland Beth by David Cobham. This is the story of Bowland Betty the Hen Harrier that was shot on an estate not far from us and in our recording area. I've not read it yet (too busy trying to learn to play the ukulele) but the line drawings are so Pennine moorland that it was worth buying just for them. If the weather is rubbish over the holiday period I may get chance for a read once the grandsons have run havoc even better if I get a wee dram to help me concentrate.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I’ve just bought myself a huge encyclopaedia type book called Mammals Of The British Isles Handbook, edited by S.Harris and D.W.Walden. The book cost close to £40.00, but I had a £25.00 gift voucher towards that book.

Regards,

Ian.

• Blimey, Thomo.  That sounds like a 'two-hand' book!  Glad you had that voucher.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hmmm,I don't think that is the pocket edition you got Ian but a heck of a read. I have one or two raptor books that are so big and heavy they make reading in bed dangerous !! It would be interesting to hear what you think of the book Ian.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I haven’t had much time to read the book as of yet, as I’m actually departing this morning from Newcastle Upon Tyne area this morning by train for a few days, staying at my cousins in the West Midlands over the Christmas period.

Regards,

Ian.

• Treated myself to a revised edition of Birds of Caithness. A4 size, hard backed book with 454 pages. Historical and present status and future trends, and maps of summer and winter sightings and breeding. Beautiful photos froma a local photographer and articles written by local Ornithologists with support from many including RSPB, BTO. A treat bought for me by me at £55.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.