Book Review - Britain's Birds - an ID Guide Hume Swash Tipling et al

Hi-

I'm not  a big fan of Photo Field Guides but this ID guide is the best I've ever seen! ( Ok I know 2 of the team behind it so sue me) It's too large to carry as a field guide but is a great reference book for ANY British Birder;

It's similar in layout to the Crossley guide and uses Digitally created plates with the birds to scale and claims to cover most plumages;

The text is bang up to date - check out the Wren page ;

The maps take a bit of getting used to ( The Redstart map still has me puzzled)

One small gripe-  is that REALLY the best photo of a Dusky Warbler they could find??

Definitely worth the money IMHO

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Totally agree, it's one of the best identification guides that's been published for a long time. In fact I was so impressed by it that I've been recommending it members of this Forum several of whom have already bought it. I agree it's too bulky to take into the field but it doesn't claim to be a field guide.

Although it is titled Britain's Birds it includes many scarcities and vagrants that you are likely to see in the UK and many that most of us probably never will.

A bargain in my opinion.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Agree, its a brilliant ID guide with such clear information and pics;   and thanks to Tony for flagging this book up to me a few weeks ago, far better than the Crossley guide I have.

Regards, Hazel 

• Agree--great book.

Kind regards, Ann

• I was supposed to be waiting until Christmas before opening the parcel, but I just had to take a peek after reading these comments. Naturally I went directly to the Robin page and found an image and description of a migrant Robin. Very useful since I think my current resident is one such bird.

Nice cover...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Interested but full title & authors not highlighted ... assume it is the one by a five-man team with Rob Hume mentioned first?

Will await confirmation before I order wrong one!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Will await confirmation before I order wrong one!!

It's THIS one Wendy. You can do a "look inside" to see if it appeals. Other suppliers are available. 

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks TJ, that was the one I called up ...now I can order with confidence!

Looking at the preview shows that it's going to be invaluable for wader ID!  Will be an excellent 'book at bedtime ' Winter read!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr