The Blackbird by A.F.C.Hillstead

To give the book its full title, The Blackbird A Contribution to the Study of a Single Avian Species. A work colleague had a clear out at home and found a 1945 first edition of this particular book, which he has kindly given to me. It is very much along the lines of 'The Life Of The Robin' by David Lack and from roughly the same era. To be honest, I didn't even know the book existed, but now that I have a copy, I will read it from cover to cover as soon as I am able. It looks like an excellent read. It seems to be readily available from online sellers such as Abebooks, so if anyone has an interest in what their Blackbirds are up to and why they are doing it, this is the book for you.

• When I read AFC Hillstead why did I think of football   lol !!   Sounds like an interesting insight into our beloved blackbird so enjoy the book Paul and thanks for sharing the info.   I see it's available in hardback (2nd hand) for just 1p plus £2.80 postage !

• These mono species books are great for getting a deeper look at a species you are interested in. I have a few on raptor species which,while not light bedtime reading, really help you understand more about regular everyday species and can help in finding less popular birds. The amount of work and research that goes into them by the authors is fantastic. I also picked a couple up about North American raptors not that I will ever get there but I'm fascinated by the way they study their birds of prey in the States.

• Wendy S said:

These mono species books are great for getting a deeper look at a species you are interested in.

I started reading it last night and it's an excellent read. I'd like to find more of this type of book. Are you aware of any that have 'everyday' garden birds for their subject? I have tried various search parameters but usually get 'no items match your search' or general links to bird related pages.

• I have 'A Single Swallow' by Horatio Clare but not finished yet!

• M.C. I find used book sites very useful and the Oxfam book site covers the country if you can trawl through their lists.Many of these books are old and out of print and often do not attract big prices. Good luck with your search,it can become addictive !!

• Interesting. Published in 1945, just after the second world war, so perhaps some philosophical insights into the life and times of the precious blackbird? With the pressure on the urban environment increasing, it would be good to contrast then and now,see if there are any adaptations the blackbirds have made in their everyday lives.