Leighton Moss book

I bought an interesting book on our last visit to Leighton Moss which outlines the story of the Moss from ice age to present day. As well as a wonderful selection of photographs there is a history of the surrounding area including the results of digs in the past and how the present moss came into being after the failure to keep the area drained for farming. Written by a local resident Andy Denwood and with a foreward by Chris Packhamt this book was published last month in time to celebrate  50 years of the reserve being in the hands of the RSPB,hard to believe we have been visiting this most delightful reserve for about 40 of these years " Leighton Moss Ice Age to Present Day" certainly deserves a place on the over loaded bookshelves of  those of us who have fallen in love with this spot over the years, £7.99 well spent in my opinion and time to swat up on the area before it features on Autumn Watch next week.

• Sounds very interesting. We are going on the 10,11th of Nov. Hoping to see Bearded Tits

• Try to get there fairly early Judi,when we went last time ,with a group, by the time they had all gathered and sorted themselves out we were a bit late reaching the causeway.Going on our own we caught good views of them on the grit trays and on the track about 9.30.Good luck on your visit we just love even quiet visits to the site feel as though we have been going there as long as the Society has.

• Try to get there early like Pete, has said Judi, or you will end up behind a lot of people, this is one I took on the 13th of November 2011 time 09:34

Jim

• Hi James, Pete and ....

@ Judi,   be sure to look on the path around 100ft past the grit trays where you see a few dark patches of gravel as they have taken to landing on The Causeway to consume grit, often before going to the grit trays !     We were there at 7am  but the Bearded Tits didn't arrive until just after 9am    they will keep coming back a few times hopefully so stay around observing.    The Ping... ping... ping   is the first thing you will hear before they land !    Good luck :)

• Hi Hazy.

This picture was taken the same day just before 10am so shows how many people want to see them.

Jim

• Evening James, when we got there at 7am we were first to arrive (not surprisingly ! ) and first folk arrived half an hour afterwards but didn't get busy until 8.30am, even then I would say there were about a dozen people in total by 9.30am.   With the Beardies also using The Causeway for the grit they need, it is more likely folk will get good chance to see them as people are not all gathered by the rail in front of the grit trays but waiting along The Causeway.  To be honest, its a matter of luck too and it is possible to see them at other places around the reserve, just a matter of keeping an ear out for their distinctive "ping" and also an eye out visually for them.  I chatted with one of the ringers when I went on 15th October and he said he had caught 8 of them that morning.   Think they have had a good year with the milder weather so thats a real bonus :)

forgot to put a pic of the beardies on the causeway .............

Good luck to anyone visiting L.Moss but next week you may have to compete with the BBC filming crew  lol

• Talking of filming for Autumnwatch, have been looking at LM live cam & watching a couple of 'bodies' moving around & this serious looking bit of kit being used

Wonder what they have found in the 'secret location' ?

• The little outlet where the camera man is they get both otter and Water vole.

• I did wonder if they were after the otter PSB, that's what I was searching for ... hope they had good luck & we'll see their pics on Autumnwatch!