RSPB Complete Birds of Britain and Europe

I've just ordered the RSPB Complete Birds of Britain and Europe. Has anyone already bought a copy of this book and what are their opinions on this bird book. I've already got the Collins book of birds of Britain and Europe. I have ordered it from Amazon as it was reduced from £30.00 to £24.00 with no added postage and it's a hardback copy. If I had ordered it from the RSPB online shop, it would have cost me £30.00 and in addition I would have had to pay extra standard postage. I look around for the best price when I'm shopping online, as I find the RSPB online shop more expensive than most other online shops.
  • Hi Thomo. I bought this book at the back end of last year and have to say that I find it to be a great source of information. I have the Collins Field Guide as well but find that the RSPB book has a great deal more information on the birds, especially in relation to habits, feeding, nesting and the likes. I also find that the labelling of the key things to look out for when identifying the birds is really straightforward and easy to understand. There is a helpful diagram describing the flying pattern of each bird as well. All the main images of the birds are shown using fantastic photographs, with excellent illustrations showing the birds in flight. There is also a really handy part on each page that shows similar species and the main differences between them. This book is way too big and heavy to take out bird watching with you so my copy sits on the desk next to my PC where I’ve found that I go back to it again and again. There is also a CD with 99 different bird calls and songs which came with the book although I don’t know if this is standard with every copy. The first fifty or so pages give a great account of different habitats and also throw in some recommended places to go to. I think you’ll be really happy with this book and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a decent desktop book about British birds.

Paul

• It's a great book Thomo but as Paul says way too heavy to be used as a field guide,very much a book for the computer desk.You may have got it cheaper through Amazon but buying it from the R.S.P.B. would be helping their conservation projects.It's a bit of a cleft stick situation in these days when most of us have financial restraints.

• Yes i am struggling financially just now, although i do treat myself to more expensive item's from time to time, but because of this i do search on-line to find the best deal.