Christmas books

Anyone get any good birding books in their stocking ?

Santa must have been listening in,or maybe he uses tracking cookies in this day and age, because he brought me some interesting looking books.

Merlins of the Yorkshire Dales

Birds of the Holy Island,useful as we try to visit twice a year

Winging it

UK 500

the last 2 are peoples birding adventures should be interesting reading

and a pocket birding logbook for all the lists I keep

should keep me happy for a little while.

• Nothing yet, but I'll be buying another bird ID book when it's back in stock. I could spend hours looking at books so if we're back in the uk next year, maybe Santa will come late.

• I got the UK and Ireland Birds Atlas 2007-11 for a Christmas present, which is over 700 pages long and is so heavy that I've got to read it with the book on a table and it's also huge length wise and it's like a bible in size. It cost over £69.00 and it will take me months to read it all.

• My Sister was kind enough to buy me 'The Peregrine Falcon' by Patrick Stirling-Aird.

• I have two pre-ordered Christmas present books to look forward to -  'The Birds of Sussex' which is due for publication fairly soon, and   ' The Helm Guide to Bird ID', due for delivery 1st April!?

• Unknown said:

I got the UK and Ireland Birds Atlas 2007-11 for a Christmas present, which is over 700 pages long and is so heavy that I've got to read it with the book on a table and it's also huge length wise and it's like a bible in size. It cost over £69.00 and it will take me months to read it all.

Heck of a book that THOMO,we were involved in a small way,like thousands of others,by doing some survey work for the BTO atlas.

• Have this on order for OH delivery 2 Jan, so he had to have a stop gap book.

Owls (Collins New Naturalist Library, Book 125 Paperback)

• Just finished reading one of my Christmas books,"UK500-Birding in the Fast Lane" by James Hanlon.As an ex twitcher,does it ever get out of our blood ?,I found it very interesting the lengths some people will go to to get their special birds.When I was chasing sightings my aim was to get over the 300 species mark now they are looking at 500 plus,not sure I could name 500 birds on the UK list,just shows how things have moved on.Most of my birding in them days was on a motor bike now here were birders hiring small aircraft.The book makes interesting reading and it is easy to feel the highs and lows of his birding.

• I bet you never did what I read about lately!! One of the "twitchers" who had come to see the Snowy owl apparantly released a load of white mice which were running all over the place, presumably to attract it!! Not surprisingly I don't think the other naturalists were too impressed.

• Hazel C said:

I bet you never did what I read about lately!! One of the "twitchers" who had come to see the Snowy owl apparantly released a load of white mice which were running all over the place, presumably to attract it!! Not surprisingly I don't think the other naturalists were too impressed.

That's a new one to me Hazel it is surprising what lengths some folk will go to to get their perfect tick or photo.

• Hi-

the Helm guide to Bird ID  is a revised version of the Macmillan Guide :)

S