Bird Atlas 2007-11

My cousins just ordered my Christmas present for Christmas Day and it's the book, The Bird Atlas 2007-11 and I've read reviews about what a remarkable book it is at over 700 pages and costing more than £60.00. Has any anyone bought this book or planning to buy it?

Regards,

Ian.

• My copy arrived a few days ago after being on pre-publication order for some time!

If you are interested in the distribution of British Birds this is a book that you will enjoy dipping into on a regular basis (although very few people will want to sit down and read it from cover to cover). It is a large, heavy book, just over 9.5x12 inches in size and 720 pages, so you probably won't want to stand and read it for long in a book store!

Maps cover the winter and breeding distributions of all species, their relative abundance in the areas where they were recorded, and the change since the last breeding and winter bird atlas projects. If you have copies of the previous atlases it is probably easier to compare the changes by laying them out on the table and comparing the maps directly though.

As far as I can see, all species are illustrated with at least one colour photo, and there is a fairly brief written account discussing the distribution and populations of each one.

Enjoy!

• As one of the thousands of vols who worked on these surveys it is fantastic to see the end result.There could b some interesting winter evenings comparing stuff with the last atlas,good reading while Mrs S is watching Strictly.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can