This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A question for all forum users about the home page

Just recently we have been contacted by a few members of the forum who have been having issues with the home page and we have also noted a few threads and comments on the same topic. The main concerns are that interesting topics may get buried and questions may go unanswered. As we cannot make any technical changes to the forum, we wanted to run a suggestion by you to see what you think about an idea that may help to improve things.

On the home page you will notice that we can make certain threads sticky. What we are proposing is that the moderators during their daily patrols around the forums select interesting threads from around the site and make them sticky for a day to allow ease of viewing. We would welcome your feedback on this idea.

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Unknown said:

Rach exactly and the threads are lively and informative.

The main forum could learn a lot from the Loch Garten Group.

• Rachel K said:

b&b, exactly where do you see negativity in the LG group?

Apart from the tecnical thread, because I have absolutely no know-how in that department, I post in all sections of the community and must say that I find the LG threads to be lively, friendly and informative.

I think perhaps B&B meant to say negativity about the group rather than in the group Rach.

• Oh, my apologies to bright&breezy, I read it wrongly.

Thankyou Chloe.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• The Loch Garten group (with hundreds of members) is the largest and the most active group. Attempting to squeeze the largest group into the fewest threads seems illogical and impractical. 

The most active threads will always rise to the top of the list. Generally, that's the way forums work across the web, and that's the way forum software is designed.

I know that some members feel that they've been inconvenienced, and I genuinely sympathize, but this is just the way forums operate.

Increasing the number of threads on page one of the Community Home is an excellent idea if it can be done. If not, clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page is a basic and simple action that even newcomers can do to explore the forum's full content. 

A few members have been unhappy with the forum's structure since the website's conversion to the new software, and this issue is just the latest in the ongoing criticism. However, a change to a customized software that would satisfy everyone's wishes would be extremely expensive and just isn't feasible.

Thank you to the moderators for trying to find a workable solution!

• Mmmm, I don't have a solution to this. I do find I spend a fair bit of time trawling the content, and in doing so, find lots of interesting topics. Yes the threads are wide spread, and perhaps do need a bit of reorganising, as some get 'lost' way down the lists, and are overlooked. I may be biased, but I do think a dedicated forum for members photos would solve the problem of 'where' to post photos that may be of interest to fellow snappers.

Phew, brain ache now.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• Maybe there could be a dedicated forum for the Osprey threads,there certainly seems to be enough interest generated for one.

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Hi Rachel,

That would be the solution, but Ian has already told us this is impossible with the current software, and any such alterations would be far too expensive.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• The home page of every other forum I have been a member of or visited has a list of forums , not just the most popular threads across the whole board. From there you can quickly select the subjects you are interested in. Not interested in Loch Garten ? No need to ever see what is posted in their forum. Apart from an extremely attractive background this site is not fit for purpose and whoever purchased it should have their backside kicked.

We have been told , quite bluntly , that reorganising the software is not an option. Apparently as customers , yes customers , we don't pay enough in our subscriptions to cover those costs. As a member who only occasionally visits RSPB reserves ( there aren't many in my area ) I shall be seriously considering whether or not to renew next year.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• There are effectively, two groups of people trying to use the same forum space. I have no real idea of numbers but suspect the very keen members of the LG Group are tiny compared to the overall number of members of the RSPB Forum BUT the LG Group swamp the home page because they generate so many posts between them. For those who come to the RSPB Forum for the first time and those who only come infrequently it must give an odd impression.

No-one wants to stop the activities of the LG Group - good luck to them but the question remains, is it right that a keen minority of very active posters take over the forum. I suspect (again no evidence) that the majority of Forum users come to the Forum because they enjoy reading the wide variety of topics that get posted- in many cases, they won't actually post anything themselves. As a result, many general topics disappear within minutes sometimes.

To answer the original question, more stickies are not a good idea. In fact we need less to free up space for a wider range of discussion topics.

It really is a naff piece piece of software and that is what has caused problems (of various kinds) over time. Solution - there doesn't appear to be one - so let everyone go back to doing what they do and people will have to muddle through.

• GeoDave   The Loch Garten Group currently has 652  members.