This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A question for all forum users about the home page

Just recently we have been contacted by a few members of the forum who have been having issues with the home page and we have also noted a few threads and comments on the same topic. The main concerns are that interesting topics may get buried and questions may go unanswered. As we cannot make any technical changes to the forum, we wanted to run a suggestion by you to see what you think about an idea that may help to improve things.

On the home page you will notice that we can make certain threads sticky. What we are proposing is that the moderators during their daily patrols around the forums select interesting threads from around the site and make them sticky for a day to allow ease of viewing. We would welcome your feedback on this idea.

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Well now stickys are welcome :)

• has anyone on this thread ever got a good egg. ? alan.

always many sides to an argument

• Unknown said:

uote]Claire I understand what you are saying but quantitiy speaks for its-self. People are interested and know where to post.

The interaction of the LG forum is brilliant. Facts, discussions etc. I think it is great and why should it change and not aimed at you Claire at all :)

I will be blunt, the LG Group is sucessful and please all do not criticise as I like the Community.  Seems too many people criticise and then when the mods suggest something then dismissed. Why moan and then not even willing to try a suggestion.

I feel for the Moderators as any suggestion is dismissed.

B&B, I also think the Osprey Group contributes so much interesting information and I like looking through the threads(but get weighed down from time with some of the comments)

Re Quantity and Quality - can I give you an example? If a new forum member ( ie a new member of the Community) posts a photo  - let's say of a chaffinch - to the "Identify This" thread, two or three members will respond and the poster hopefully will be pleased and be better informed. That thread does not warrant 100 responses and doesn't.

Now, if I logged on to  - let's say - the DU thread and learned that Odin was standing on a perch at 1.30 pm the same day - that information would mean nothing to me despite the many follow up posts on various Garten threads reporting the same information.

That's maybe where some of the difficulties in regard to duplication lie.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• ClaireM  Are the members of the Loch Garten community unhappy? Have you asked them if they are unhappy?

• decided against posting. Alan

always many sides to an argument

• Claire as Tiger said are members of the Loch Garten thread unhappy. It is a great place and so proud of how much I have learnt.

I am pleased you look at the LG threads and no doubt I hope you have looked at the informative threads.

I am with you and as you say, If someone asks a question and gets and answer they are happy :)

Not for you Claire:) but general.

I honestly do not understand at all as so many posts with only a couple of responses so they will drop.

I have a lot of questions and input but to be honest with all this going on, I am scared to post.

I have been drawn into this before and fed up with it and negativity of the LG group and now it has gone too far and people are upset.

• b&b, exactly where do you see negativity in the LG group?

Apart from the tecnical thread, because I have absolutely no know-how in that department, I post in all sections of the community and must say that I find the LG threads to be lively, friendly and informative.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• birdbox said:

whats a sticky?

It's one of those threads at the top of the home page with a little yellow square against it. They stay in that place and don't move up and down like the other threads do.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Rach exactly and the threads are lively and informative.