This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UPDATED COMMUNITIES Q&A CLINIC

This site has a brand new look, as you will have no doubt noticed by now. Change can be a little daunting at first, but rest assured we are here to help with the transition from old to new. Please use this thread to ask any questions/voice any concerns and will do out utmost to get back to you.

N.B: Please accept our most sincere apologies for the current speed of the site, we are aware of the issue and are looking to resolve this as a priority.

Claire

• Hi there folks, whilst I can appreciate people's current despondency about the site, please allow me to reassure you that our techies are working their socks off to resolve these ongoing issues. These fixes can, and do take time so all we can ask is for your patience and ongoing support. We will continue to update you as soon as possible. We value all of our site users as well as your contributions and rest assured that your opinions do count.

Claire

• Bob, I am referring to the techies here at the RSPB who are more than competent at their jobs. I can wholly understand your frustrations, but I feel your 'pig in a poke' comment was a little unnecessary. I, as my other moderating colleagues have been, will continue to report all 'technical issues' for their reference, input and action.

• Bob, I believe it would be more productive for all parties if your comments were more constructive than disruptive.

• At least they seem to have sorted some layout issues today.

The poster name is still cut off at the bottom if it has low hanging letters (like y) in Firefox, it seems ok in IE and Chrome though.

They have increased the user-name class to height:16px but the font is 14px and there doesn't seem to be enough room for the low hanging letters with the font they are using.

Brian.

My Flickr

My own humble photo site

• I noticed that, unread topics are in bold and read topics in normal font, that is better

Brian.

My Flickr

My own humble photo site

• We should not be having to swap browsers.  Hopefully one of the priorities of the tech team is to make the site cross browser compatible.

• I do see a difference in the rendering of the font in Firefox and Chrome.

It seems a little more bold in Firefox.

Top image is Firefox, bottom Chrome.

Brian.

My Flickr

My own humble photo site

• Hi folks, thanks for your feedback on the fonts and rendering, these changes are part of the work that is being carried out today. This work is still ongoing as I type, so you can expect to see other changes soon.

• Unknown said:

I know they have been getting a lot of stick MrsT but i think people will be happy to see things changing even if bit by bit, the homepage is better with the highlights for unread posts, thank them for that.

I agree.

• Our plan is to gradually implement changes bit by bit and build a better site. Baby steps as they say, as these things cannot happen over nite - but we're getting there!