Female Chaffinch with bumblefoot

This the worst case of bumblefoot I have seen in many years.She as great difficulty walking having to drag the foot behind her but seems to fly ok.

She is very lively & defends the bird table with a really aggressive attitude towards the other birds

Parents
  • I live in Northern Ireland. I have seen a lot of chaffinches this year, who are suffering from really bad bumblefoot - much worse than the poor little girl in your picture.

It seems to cause them a lot of pain. I have seen birds - that have bumblefoot on just one leg - trying to keep that leg off the ground as much as possible - and stand on their good leg.

I have also seen chaffinches that have bumblefoot in both legs, trying to eat while sitting down ( maybe to try and take the weight off their feet).

I rescued a male chaffinch - that was stunned by flying into one of my windows - and noticed that it had bumblefoot on both legs but it seemed to be dying down.  It looked like scabs - as opposed to the way it looks in your picture. The good news is, the little boy recovered well from his run-in with the window glass - and flew off about an hour later.

I'm sorry I can't post any pictures - I don't have any.

Comment
  • I live in Northern Ireland. I have seen a lot of chaffinches this year, who are suffering from really bad bumblefoot - much worse than the poor little girl in your picture.

It seems to cause them a lot of pain. I have seen birds - that have bumblefoot on just one leg - trying to keep that leg off the ground as much as possible - and stand on their good leg.

I have also seen chaffinches that have bumblefoot in both legs, trying to eat while sitting down ( maybe to try and take the weight off their feet).

I rescued a male chaffinch - that was stunned by flying into one of my windows - and noticed that it had bumblefoot on both legs but it seemed to be dying down.  It looked like scabs - as opposed to the way it looks in your picture. The good news is, the little boy recovered well from his run-in with the window glass - and flew off about an hour later.

I'm sorry I can't post any pictures - I don't have any.

Children
No Data