Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nice visit this morning .....

First of all I spotted five egrets in the back field, four close enough to catch together.    Pity about the cattle, they are so muddied up with this wet weather.

Then I spotted the red squirrel returning after not seeing it for five days

You can see it found an easier way into the sunflower hearts!!!!    I watched and took a number of photos for about three quarters of an hour - and then

it eventually left the feeders and over to the back hedge, you can see it eyeing up the seed box where all those lovely hazel, etc nuts were waiting 

I was thanking my lucky stars that I had opened it up earlier on this morning

You know when you get that excited that you drop the camera  !!!  only joking

Bingo !!!!!!   AT LAST

Like the Starling joining in with applause 

Brilliant, and all without the peanut butter that is on order, but Garden Wildlife have had difficulty in getting the orders out apparently, so I had to

make a trip to Llangefni end of last week to replenish the sunflower seeds.   Never mind, chuffed to bits that it found and fed.

Gaynor

Lot to learn

• Wooohooo...!!! Good day all round Gaynor with your Egrets and the adorable red doing whats its meant to do....finally lol.....well done no dropping the camera too

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Lovely series, Gaynor, particularly the red obviously :o) ..... see Linda...it's not just me with no sunshine!! lol
  • Looks like Red eatin out his very own feeder PB is Gaynors very own wee ray of sunshine Stuck out tongue

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Yipeeeeeeee at last !! Clever Squirrel, and a happy Starling as well!! Now you know what you have to do, now that the box has been found, keep it topped up!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Definitely Little Egrets again, but nice to see so many in the field. You see, even the suggestion of using peanut butter had the desired effect. It just shows what a good idea it was!! And now Red knows how to get in two feeders, so a sunflower heart starter followed by the nut course.

Nige   Flickr

• You're right Linda, I did get a little ray of sunshine today with the red squidge doing what it was supposed to do:-). To celebrate the event of the squidge eating out of it's box at last I decided to walk down to the beach, it stayed dry and I was nicely warm all day after the exercise, thanks all for comments and hopefully I will get to take more pics as and when. Titch was back and fore, not zooming today so his love interest must have disappeared for now.

Lot to learn

• Very nice captures Gaynor, love the Red squirrel.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Don't know how I missed this post Gaynor but glad I caught up with the Cyril the Red !! just gorgeous and the egrets too.

Regards, Hazel 

• gaynorsl said:

Bingo !!!!!!   AT LAST

Gaynor

I do miss my sightings of red squirrels, no thanks to Covid.....

Plas Newydd (somewhere I'm not expecting to visit again, this year) have similar squirrel feeder boxes, where they can lift the lid and get their food supply

Lovely photos Gaynor and a joy to see the reds, all the way, and what a shame those egrets were little and not cattle egrets!

• Thanks James, Hazy and Mike, don't know where I have been the last four evenings, time flashes by and there isn't enough of it to do everything!! :-) Had a visit yesterday from squidgy, it rained all day and poor little thing was slipping and sliding fireman fashion down the pole!! It disappeared up the telegraph pole at one time, must have been disturbed, and then was feeding on the hearts while the tractor passed by down the lane without even a twitch of it's tufty ears. See,,,,,,,, that is where the time is going!!!!!!

Lot to learn