Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Your Suet Ball Recipes

Do you make your own suet balls feed and if so what recipes do you use.

My basic recipe is:

Package of Suet, left over bread crumbs, high energy seeds and kibbled peanuts.

I gently heat the suet in a suitably sized pan.

In a mixing bowl I’ll place the rest of the ingredients.

Once the suet has fully melted (not boiled) add this to the bowl.

Mix the ingredients. The texture required is sticky which will go solid when set.

I find the amounts of ingredients vary from time to time but it is probably best to start wet and add bread crumbs to thicken.

I then fill the old coconuts which I purchased some time ago and place them carefully in the fridge to set solid.

You can use either veggy or beef suet which ever you feel comfortable using.

Be careful not to boil the suet for various reasons including for H&S reasons which will become obvious if you spill the hot liquid over yourself.

Richard

• Hi Richard

Thanks for the recipe, sounds so good I might give a go myself.

Robert

• Hi Richard,sounds a real good recipe and definitely a good idea for a thread.

We haven't made them for a while but like you, use the empty coconut shells as well as our empty curry paste cartons.

Our recipe is so simple but goes down really well and it is very nutritious.

Pop the mixed seeds and crushed or split  nuts into the cartons/shells and pour over the warm melted fat.We use Beef dripping . A quick stir.let it set and Bobs your uncle.

I do pop smaller seeds in as well as the high protein.

Cheating though, as i have a couple of bought cocunut shells up at the moment  ha ha.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Robert F said:

Hi Richard

Thanks for the recipe, sounds so good I might give a go myself.

Robert

Hi Robert

You'll find the right mixture / consistancy with practice.

Hi All

Don't be shy, lets have your recipes :-)

Richard

• Sheena said:

Hi Richard,sounds a real good recipe and definitely a good idea for a thread.

We haven't made them for a while but like you, use the empty coconut shells as well as our empty curry paste cartons.

Our recipe is so simple but goes down really well and it is very nutritious.

Pop the mixed seeds and crushed or split  nuts into the cartons/shells and pour over the warm melted fat.We use Beef dripping . A quick stir.let it set and Bobs your uncle.

I do pop smaller seeds in as well as the high protein.

Cheating though, as i have a couple of bought cocunut shells up at the moment  ha ha.

Hi Sheena

Does the dripping set firmly ?

Richard

• Richard

I wasn't thinking about the birds, I just get a little peckish from time to time....    :-)

Robert

• Robert F said:

Richard

I wasn't thinking about the birds, I just get a little peckish from time to time....    :-)

Robert

LMSO :-))

• Yes Richard, we usually pop them in the fridge for a little while.Firm, but not too hard like some of the bought fat balls tend to get in winter and all the birds break their beaks ha ha.

I used to find on really cold days the poor little birds could not feed from the solid commercial ones and that is why we intially started doing them ourselves.I only ever make them from around October until April.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Robert F said:

Richard

Robert

Ha ha ha ha :0)

• Sheena said:

Yes Richard, we usually pop them in the fridge for a little while.Firm, but not too hard like some of the bought fat balls tend to get in winter and all the birds break their beaks ha ha.

I used to find on really cold days the poor little birds could not feed from the solid commercial ones and that is why we intially started doing them ourselves.I only ever make them from around October until April.

Sheena

Hmmm interesting, I hadn't considered that and will certainly adopt that idea for this coming winters recipes.

Cheers

Richard

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/07/2010 15:57 in reply to rhodopsin

Hi Richard

I have to say I have never made my own fatballs or anything like that at all - maybe it is down to laziness after all.

I am afraid I cannot help with any recipe

So I should really look into making my own as it is cheaper to do that.  I have not saved any coconut shells and should that for the sakes of my own recipes.

So I will take on board what you have said and take notes of your recipe and any others that appear on this thread.

Regards

Kathy and Dave