Attracting frogs

Hi, I'm looking to create a little wildlife pond with a washing up bowl as my 4 yr old daughter is desperate to make one. I've got all the info on how to create it etc  but what my main question is, will frogs be able to get into my garden? Basically, I'm in a small terrace with a small garden. No grass, it's all concrete  My garden is a container grown garden of plants. I've fencing either side, and a wall at the end. I can't see how they could gain access into my garden but my daughter is very hopeful. I keep hearing that if you make a pond you'll attract them. But not if they can't access it right! Any suggestions as to how I can open up some kind of mini gateway for them? Many thanks x

Flicr - My Photos

• Well done on starting the thread Nikkie.
    Does your fencing have gravel boards at the bottom or does the wood go to the floor?

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

They are sat on concrete panels with concrete posts either side. There is an alley that runs at the back for bins. Our neighbours on the end terrace have their access to the alley fenced off and last year we extended our garden slightly by removing the end fence panel. We built a makeshift fence to close off any access into the garden via the alley, but at some point I'm going to put a proper gate in place.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

You have done a lovely job with those plants in pots Nikkie.
    The only thing I can suggest is when you finish the fence off can you leave a gap under that bit even if it is just half an inch, they won't need much space to squeeze through, even though you have a gate on there may be enough space under that too.
    You just need some in the area now, do you know if any of your neighbours have a pond?

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thankyou. Having the extra space has definitely helped make it look more of a garden but it's still pokey haha. The fence my husband put in whets the gate will be, is at the side of my daughters play house. It's just panels of wood overlapping and I'm pretty sure it isn't flush to the ground all the way so may get thru there possibly. I don't know if any neighbours with a pond but I'm a 10 minute walk from doxey marshes which is a nature reserve and in the 16yrs I've live here I've had 2 frogs pop into my house. One snuck in when i was bringing some shopping in on a wet night and once i found one just sitting in my dogs water bowl in the kitchen haha. So they are in the area or at least they used to be. Never seen any in my garden though.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

You are on to good start if you have already seen some, I think I can remember reading they can smell water so fingers crossed for your daughter.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

I've just been out to have a good look and he's done a good job at making it level with the ground so no gaps sadly. I might be able to talk him into cutting a fairy sized gap in the bottom of one of the panels maybe!

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

Young Froglets are no bigger than your little fingernail so will hardly need any gap at all to get through.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Fingers crossed then! I'm undecided of its location yet but no means to set the pond into the ground, so i need to build up to it with rocks. Or I could lift a patio slab up where my extended bit is and set it into the ground. More likely to throw my back out doing that though haha and harder to see into it to know if we have any visitors or not.
    I can provide shade through plants but is a sunny location best for a pond? I get full sun during the summer months on the right side of my garden from mid morning until it goes down. The wall and plants provide shade on the far end from mid afternoon. Left side of garden gets shade most of the day due to the fence, but that's my daughters area for playing so definitely not suitable to put there.

Flicr - My Photos

• In reply to Nikkie:

If you google "how to attract frogs to your garden" there is quite a bit of info.
    I think the pond needs to be in the sun to work properly but provide something like an upturned pot in the shade to move to.
    www.wildlifegardener.co.uk/attractingfrogstoyourgarden.html
    www.youtube.com/watch

My Flickr photos