Garden bird call - loud fast high pitched 'whep whep whep whep whep'

Hi I just heard a bird in the garden and the noise it was making was a loud fast high pitched 'whep whep whep whep whep' It was about as fast as you can say it. It was gone before I got my bins to look for it. Any ideas? Cheers Susie
  • Hi Susan

Could it be a Nuthatch www.youtube.com/watch

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Hi

it sounded similar to that but a little stronger.  In the absence of other candidates I'd say it was a 90% fit.

Cheers

Susie

• In reply to Susan Q:

Hi Susie

Others may pop by later to give more (better) suggestions.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I very often hear nuthatches before I see them, and their calls are loud.

• In reply to Robbo:

It costs a couple of quid, but I found an awesome app called "ChirpOmatic" which records the birdsong and then identifies it for you. It's sensitive but works quite well :)

"I have an approximate knowledge of many things..."' - Demon Cat, Adventure Time.
  • In reply to Alan.:

Hi Alan I'm pretty sure you've answered a query of mine here! A couple of days ago I posted a request for help with a call I heard while out walking the dog. Ive heard the bird each day since but without any sight, and its call has changed slightly each day though always the same tone. I'm almost certain now that its a Nuthatch, a bird I hadn't even considered.

So one happy customer at least!

Regards

Ian

• In reply to see gull:

Hi Ian

If it is in the same area all the time and it's quiet take some sunflower hearts or suet pellets and it wont be long before they come down to you.

it took about 4 visits before they started trusting me.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Wish l knew the sounds of my birds more, maybe someone could start a tread with others with recorded vid's could hear the sounds and get to know them. Yas

• In reply to Alan.:

Not really feasible Im afraid Alan, it's flitting from garden to garden along my street which is too busy for a bird to be attracted. I do have an occasional visit to my own feeders though but its in and out in a flash!

• In reply to Simon:

Hi Yas, best place to start is the RSPB website itself, theres a sound file attached to the webpage for each bird in the database.

Going on from that if you Google xeno-canto that's a free worldwide database of bird song and call recordings.

Its well worth the effort, once you have a bird's call in your memory you'll never fail to pick it up and you'll be surprised how often you come across it.

Regards

Ian