Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Little hedgehog in residence.

I have a small hedgehog who has now taken up residence in the hog house.

He looks fairly small so possibly a late litter baby?

He may be too small to go through a cold winter but have not had a chance to catch and weigh him.

He spends most of the night in the hog house and comes out around every 2 hours for a meal in the feeding station.

Needless to say I shall have food and water available for the whole winter as usual.

Here is a video of my little hedgehog resident trundling back to the hog house for the day.

http://youtu.be/qTLWIV9JiNc

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• You're certainly doing your bit for the hogs. I imagine your regular supply of food and water will keep it going once Winter finally sets in. Keep us updated on the little hog and how it's doing.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hello MP, nice to see your little man/lady. Hope he does well over the winter. I am sure he will have all his creature comforts.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I am now in a dilemma as 2 rats have now found the feeding station.

Do I stop putting out food or continue for the sake of hoggy?

I have a rat trap I shall put out tonight.It is the sort that the rat has to go inside (no poison) so will do hoggy no harm as the entrance is too small.I have never actually caught a rat in the trap (only an unfortunate mouse).

I probably would not have known about the rats if I had not caught them on camera!

Any ideas as to what I else I can do?

• Oh, dear, mp, that's something I dread happening, despite the fact that they are part of our wildlife. Can you find the spot where they are coming into the garden? They always follow the same 'run' and it's nearly always close to a wall/ hedge - they don't like open spaces. Another trap at that spot perhaps. What are you going to do if you trap one?! If you release it, maybe make it a long, long way off! But please wear rubber gloves at all times when handling traps etc, just in case.

I think it depends on circumstances whether you carry on putting Hoggy food out. If children play nearby, I don't think I'd risk it until the problem is solved.

• I have 2 traps down (the lethal kind I'm afraid).

Nothing caught yet.

A hoggie turned up last night and seemed a bit surprised there was no food in the feeding station!I did see him later foraging on the front lawn (which they do a lot) so tonight I shall scatter some dried mealworms out there.

The rats could come in anywhere including the tunnel I have for the hedgehogs!

I will of course be very careful when handling traps etc and also making sure the hoggies are safe from them.

I have had rats a couple of times before.The first time I saw one it was killed within 5 minutes by a cat so I didn't have to worry!

I also had one a couple of years ago that lived under next doors decking but vanished when the decking was replaced.I did have traps out but only caught an unfortunate mouse.

The trail cam has been out since March and this is the first time that rats have appeared on it.

The rats are not a 'problem' as such but just opportunists,I just don't want them to get settled in.

Will keep you all posted!

• Hope you are successful in catching them MP, not nice to have rats about. The sooner the better, then your Hoggies can get their dinner.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Well no rats on camera at all last night and nothing in the traps either!

A cat came round several times sniffing out the food so maybe that kept them away?

Hoggie came round but refused to go into the feeding station,backing out of the tunnel,maybe he smelt a rat?

Hoggie is a large one but have not seen junior for a few days,don't think there is anyone in the hog house either.

• At least they are still in the area.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Still not caught a rat though one of the traps was sprung!

I have one trap in the feeding station but have made sure that hedgehogs can't get in.Camera picked up one looking a bit confused at the small entrance!

I am putting handfuls of dried mealworms on the front lawn and tonight junior was out there so the hoggies are not going hungry.

I am assuming the rats will not go there as it is very open and under a street light.

Will see what happens tonight.

Without the trail cam I would probably be unaware that I had rats!!!